How to completely drain hydraulic fluid

/ How to completely drain hydraulic fluid #1  

OutbackL130

Silver Member
Tractor
L130, 420
My 420 was filled with the wrong trans fluid dextron iii atf, and the entire system needs to be drained. I have removed the drain plug, filter and cycled the steering wheel a couple times. How do I get the rest of the fluids out of the hydraulic lines? thanks

/ How to completely drain hydraulic fluid #2  
What is supposed to be in there? Unless it is completely incompatible I think you have done enough. If it makes you feel better... change it with cheap fluid, run/use for a couple hours and change again.

/ How to completely drain hydraulic fluid #3  
I doubt that it is that much different. The hydraulic fluid is probably highly refined 100N with very few additives, as is the ATF. I'd have left it in there.

Ralph

/ How to completely drain hydraulic fluid #4  
if you really want it all out give it enough fill of the right oil so things function, then run all cylinders up and down several times, move if its a hydro, then re-drain and do a full fill.

/ How to completely drain hydraulic fluid #5  
Just my personal opinion, but hydro oil is way too expensive to be filled and drained right after, just because your worried about getting every last drop out. Just draining the transaxle and changing the filter will get 90% of the fluid out. Honestly, 10% old fluid is nothing to be worried about.

/ How to completely drain hydraulic fluid
Thanks for the replies, what happened was someone told me to use atf in the transmission on the 420. When I first got it I changed all the fluids and refilled the trans with ATF. Well couple weeks later the tractor had starting issues I could not figure out so I brought it to the local JD dealer to have them diagnose. While they had it they noticed I had atf in the trans. They said I used the wrong hydro fluid and that ATF will ruin all the seals in the transmission.

/ How to completely drain hydraulic fluid #7  
Thanks for the replies, what happened was someone told me to use atf in the transmission on the 420. When I first got it I changed all the fluids and refilled the trans with ATF. Well couple weeks later the tractor had starting issues I could not figure out so I brought it to the local JD dealer to have them diagnose. While they had it they noticed I had atf in the trans. They said I used the wrong hydro fluid and that ATF will ruin all the seals in the transmission.

Yes they are correct.

I am a small engine mechanic/tool repair technician, and I see this kind of problem on a regular basis with air tools. Lots of guys use WD-40 in place of air tool oil. This swells o-rings, than they begin to crumble and break down. Any kind of rubber or gasket material in a hydraulic or fuel system, is designed specifically to work with the type of fluid it will be exposed to.