Z910A not starting

/ Z910A not starting #1  

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
When I turn the key to start there is a loud fast clicking or grinding sound and the motor does not turn over. It was working fine last week. The lights seem to be bright. but the battery is the original one. (bought Aug. 2011) The machine has 150 hours. What could be the possible problem. Thanks.

/ Z910A not starting #2  
Replace the battery. If your JD z-turn is like mine, the U-1 series batteries don't last a long time.

Bill

/ Z910A not starting
Replace the battery. If your JD z-turn is like mine, the U-1 series batteries don't last a long time.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I did that and it is now working good. Part# TY25221 - $64 from Deere parts. The original battery had 300CCA the new one has 325CCA.

I know a clicking only noise, when cranking, is the sign of a low battery but this was such a loud grinding noise it threw me off.

I did not realize that the 900 series JD Z has a diagnostic blinking light code for electrical problems.
I turned the key to the start position and release it to the run mode, the engine did not start and the little red light by the wrench icon blinked three times, paused and then blinked twice - (3-2) means a low battery.

Since I just used the Z last week and the battery was probably made close to 4 years ago (and not like it was sitting all winter) I did not mess with charging it and just replaced it. This was only the second time I have mowed with my new to me used JD Z, and NOW it turns over much better.