John Deere 318 wont start

/ John Deere 318 wont start #1  

collector121

Hi everyone.

I have an '85 Deere 318 and it will not start. When I go to crank it, the solenoid just clicks ONCE and the starter does not spin at all. Sometimes the starter would spin almost like it wasnt catching and spinning the engine and a little tap on the side of the starter with a hammer would get it going again. Now I have nothing. There is current going to the starter but the tester light was not very bright so it doesnt seem to be a very strong current. So my question is.... is it the solenoid or is it the starter? Im hoping its the solenoid because I really dont want to have to lift the engine to get the starter out. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Charles in Maryland

/ John Deere 318 wont start #2  
First check all the battery connections and then the battery.:)

/ John Deere 318 wont start
Battery is good. I put my charger on it and turned it up to 12 Volt Boost, the jump start setting, and still nothing.

/ John Deere 318 wont start #4  
359]First check all the battery connections and then the battery.:)[/QUOTE]

Check all grounds an fuses for connection are wires at keyswitch green or dirty? if so this is your. problem .if not your starter is shot.check wires closely older tractors tend to have wires rubbing?

/ John Deere 318 wont start #5  
have you tried jumping across solenoid?

Thanks everyone for the replies!!

The solenoid isnt in the most accessible area for me to try and jump across it and it is sending current to the starter when I turn the key switch to START. I read a different thread on here and the guy had the same problem as I am having so I am going to get a new battery tomorrow (the one I have in it now is approximately 5 years old) and see where that gets me.

Okay so, here is what I did today:

I unhooked the battery and hooked my battery charger up to the terminals and turned it on to 12 Volt Boost. I can hear the starter "buzzing" whenever I turn the key to "start" My uncle, who is an auto mechanic, was over today and I explained what was going on. He says that because there is current getting to the starter and its not engaging, more than likely it is the starter and not the solenoid. He hooked up his tester to the battery and the battery is strong at 12 Volts and holds the charge when put under a load for 30 seconds. I am going to the local John Deere dealer to see how much a starter is going to run.

/ John Deere 318 wont start #8  
collector
being an 85 your starter should not have a solenoid on the starter.( 191-1567 )
if it does have the solenoid on the starter. (191-1949-01 )
i do stock both of these starters.
thank you. boomer boomers_influence@yahoo.com

/ John Deere 318 wont start #9  
Okay so, here is what I did today:

I unhooked the battery and hooked my battery charger up to the terminals and turned it on to 12 Volt Boost. I can hear the starter "buzzing" whenever I turn the key to "start" My uncle, who is an auto mechanic, was over today and I explained what was going on. He says that because there is current getting to the starter and its not engaging, more than likely it is the starter and not the solenoid. He hooked up his tester to the battery and the battery is strong at 12 Volts and holds the charge when put under a load for 30 seconds. I am going to the local John Deere dealer to see how much a starter is going to run.

Hello
If you need a starter I would suggest that you deal with forum Member Boomer. He has many and will treat you right. I would suggest that you check the safety switch's in your Tractor as well. There is one at the Hydro lever, One under the seat, and One for the PTO Lock out. It is not uncommon for these safety switch's to loose their connection and Raise Havoc. There is also a Three wire ground for the T.D.M."Black Box" with many wire's running to it which is under the battery Tray. These Three black wires are for a solid ground of the machine's wiring harness make sure they are grounded well. If your starter has a solenoid Mounted on it, many have Installed a Starter Improvement kit. This Kit allows direct current to the starter when Cranking over the Tractor. With the safety switches' in Place the current must travel twice through your electrical Harness before engaging the starter. By Placing the starter Improvement Kit many have eliminated their Non starting issues. I would further suggest that you use some Di-Electric Grease at all of the wiring Harness Plug connections. Over time the Electrical connector's get a bit of corrosion on them which Hinder's a good connection. You can buy the Di-Electric Grease at any auto parts store in small squeeze Packet's very reasonable and it work's great. I hope this helps.

/ John Deere 318 wont start #10  
I hope the problem isn't a bad starter on your deere cause I believe you have to remove the engine to replace the starter on the 318