PTO caused engine to die and now it wont start

/ PTO caused engine to die and now it wont start #1  

OutbackL130

Silver Member
Tractor
L130, 420
I am having an electrical problem with my john deere 420. I was driving it and turned the blades on which caused the engine to suddenly stop. Now the engine wont turn over and there is no click from the solenoid. Any idea why the PTO switch would kill power to the engine?

/ PTO caused engine to die and now it wont start #2  
check to see the wire going to the pto switch wasn't knocked off that's right under the engine pulley.

/ PTO caused engine to die and now it wont start #3  
If this is a smaller tractor like the STX46 I will tell you that it seemed like an electrical problem with mine too. Turned out to be the electric pto clutch failed and locked in the engaged position. Engine wouldn't turn at all until I removed the clutch from the engine crankshaft. It was an easy but expensive repair. If the 420 is a big tractor then disregard. :smile:

/ PTO caused engine to die and now it wont start #4  
The seat switch and the hydrostatic drive neutral position switch is also in series with PTO switch.
Check the seat switch first, it's prone to failure. All of these will keep engine from starting.

/ PTO caused engine to die and now it wont start #5  
DOES PTO CLUTCH CLICK WITH KEY ON ,WHEN YOU INGAGE AND DISINGAGE SWICH ?

/ PTO caused engine to die and now it wont start #6  
I'm thinking there is a good chance that your PTO switch is fried internally, making it shorted out. If you look under the dash to the backside of the PTO switch, you'll find spade connectors or a connector you can disconnect from the switch. If you do that, the logic of having the PTO engaged should be bypassed and you can attempt to start the engine. If the engine turns over and the blades rotate, then you have frozen PTO clutch that needs replacement. All this is just a guess based on the minimum info you provided. It's just one of many possibilities.

/ PTO caused engine to die and now it wont start #7  
I am having an electrical problem with my john deere 420. I was driving it and turned the blades on which caused the engine to suddenly stop. Now the engine wont turn over and there is no click from the solenoid. Any idea why the PTO switch would kill power to the engine?

Curious to know if you have fixed the problem and what the cause was????