Hydrostatic Whine X signature series

/ Hydrostatic Whine X signature series #1  

4runner1

Tractor
john deere
In Nov 2013 I traded in a X 585 for a X 738 .Now I have buyers remorse .Other then the ride over auto connect this tractor does not live up to the claims J.D makes in its brochure .The claim that it tested in sound rooms to minimize noise is a boastful exaggeration .The Whine from Hydrostatic drive is way beyond what I would find comfortable to the ear. This is very apparent
when going forward to reverse when plowing snow.
Do any other owners of the 700 series find the noise objectionable. John Deere corp. acknowledges the noise stating they hear more complaints from former owners of X 585 series. . I wish J.D would go back to a part time 4WD I would dump this model in a second.

/ Hydrostatic Whine X signature series #2  
I understand where your coming from. I never liked the idea of the hydraulic 4x4. I'm glad I got my x748 when they were mechanical. I don't like the ground clearance that you give up with the hydraulic FWD either. Maintenance looks like it would be a bigger pain also. I have never heard one of the new ones run, and would have never thought that noise would be an issue.
I guess you could go with a 1 series, but you would be giving up allot of comfort, and mowing capabilities.

/ Hydrostatic Whine X signature series
Absolutely right on that . The X585 was a very capable and comfortable tractor. Strong enough to move 10ft long logs from downed trees . And allow me to mow 3 acres in comfort

/ Hydrostatic Whine X signature series #4  
I understand where your coming from. I never liked the idea of the hydraulic 4x4. I'm glad I got my x748 when they were mechanical. I don't like the ground clearance that you give up with the hydraulic FWD either. Maintenance looks like it would be a bigger pain also. I have never heard one of the new ones run, and would have never thought that noise would be an issue.
I guess you could go with a 1 series, but you would be giving up allot of comfort, and mowing capabilities.

Nice to see someone else notice this. People don't seem to realize how low the hydraulic hoses hang down on the hydraulic driven front axle. Sure, it's only two more hoses, but they are quite exposed.

I wonder if the AWD X7 series machines make more hydro noise because of the front axle? The hydro pump is also larger, needs to work harder and move more fluid, which I am sure makes more noise. I have a 2012 X740 and I only notice a lot of hydro whine if the throttle is down low, which is to be expected. At 3/4 throttle and up, I don't hear the hydro system.

/ Hydrostatic Whine X signature series #5  
So far I have only notice appreciable whine when initial action results in stalled tranny. Forcing the issue usually goes forward but with whine This would be from snow pushing. And my front hoses are higher than the axle. It is much harder to do an oil change

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

John Deere's explanation is this is normal because there are two more motors in the front axle . An when the tractor is under load or changing direction the WHINE! is louder. But once the tractor is under way the whine will be quieter. This is a explanation and not a solution. What the J.D engineers do not understand is when you are plowing snow or mowing around shrubs and trees you are constantly going from forward to reverse. Since this is my first winter with the X738 my neighbor asked me what is wrong with your tractor. and he lives 300ft away . He was use to my old x585. I said ."my friend this is the new and improved model"

/ Hydrostatic Whine X signature series #7  
John Deere's explanation is this is normal because there are two more motors in the front axle . An when the tractor is under load or changing direction the WHINE! is louder. But once the tractor is under way the whine will be quieter. This is a explanation and not a solution. What the J.D engineers do not understand is when you are plowing snow or mowing around shrubs and trees you are constantly going from forward to reverse. Since this is my first winter with the X738 my neighbor asked me what is wrong with your tractor. and he lives 300ft away . He was use to my old x585. I said ."my friend this is the new and improved model"

Mine doe not whine going forward to reverse. Are you running full throttle? If not, you should be.

Yes full throttle . Do you own a series 7 signature series? . Thanks

/ Hydrostatic Whine X signature series #9  
My x749 will whine some if I put it in a tough bind but otherwise the transmission is not noticeable. Routine forward and backward movement while mowing should not be an issue, your mower may have a problem. You might wan't to compare yours with others at a dealer to get a better idea of what is considered normal. I say this because it is hard to know how all these mowers compare without a baseline for that comparison and hard to quantify on an internet forum.

Thanks .That is helpful, come spring the dealers will have some on the lot that I can compare to. Over the last few months neither dealers in my area have anything. On YOUTUBE there is a video of a couple of 7 series moving gravel and they whine pretty loud. My problem might be I am comparing it to my X585 which is part time 4WD . Or my hearing is too acute