2014 X739, which deck for best cut?

/ 2014 X739, which deck for best cut? #1  

Eric102

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 John Deere X739
Considering a new X739 for just mowing the lawn, have a JD3320 for all the other chores but its way to big for mowing in tight quarters and on side slopes. Has anyone had the chance to compare the 48" Edge Xtra Deck vs the 54" High Capacity Deck? For me the size doesn't really matter since my lawn area is less than an acre but I would like the best cut (least amount of scalping). Will also be getting a powerflow/bagging system if that would make any difference. I have an old 87 JD318 with a 46" deck now but its about time to upgrade toys :).

/ 2014 X739, which deck for best cut? #2  
I have the 54HC on my X739, but haven't used it yet. I've been using a 54" on a 425 for the past 19 years. The old gravely that the 425 replaced had a 38" deck. The gravely cut was the best I've ever experienced. I think for two reasons: width and speed. Smaller decks almost always give you a better cut. The gravely had 2 ranges, 4 gears - all of them slow, slow, slow. Made for a good cut, but took forever.

I don't know about the 48 Xtra edge. It might yield a slightly better cut just because it's smaller. But, JD and everyone else raves about the HC decks. I know one thing it sure has a deep pan. I've never seen one with such a deep pan before. It's much deeper than my 425 54" deck. And way heavier, not that the old deck is a lightweight by any means. The deck on my 425 has been awesome, and still is. So, I'm expecting the HC will be the last one I'll ever need.

I think the HC will give you longer service, if 20 vs 25 years or so really matters to you.

/ 2014 X739, which deck for best cut?
Thanks for the input, I'm just starting my research so I don't really know much about the new decks and mowers, any suggestions are appreciated.

Is the HC the same or similar to the previous 7-iron decks?

/ 2014 X739, which deck for best cut? #4  
I've read that the HCs are nearly identical to the 7-iron. I also like that the HC is drive over. No more rotating the gauge wheels to roll it from under the tractor. I've only taken it off; have yet to put it on. But, it sure was easy to remove. I like the drive shaft holder they have now.

My old deck does have a more robust lift mechanism though, using two heavy yokes welded to the deck. These new ones have what I'd characterize as a heavy wire lift thingy. Wire thingy is easier to engage/disengage though. I guess it's built to handle the mower deck weight and that is all that matters.

Don't know how much of this is common with the xtra edge.

I have read complaints about the cut quality of the previous mower deck designs (like on X729). But, no first-hand experience with these.

Thanks for the input, I'm just starting my research so I don't really know much about the new decks and mowers, any suggestions are appreciated.

Is the HC the same or similar to the previous 7-iron decks?

Is the auto connect standard or optional?

/ 2014 X739, which deck for best cut? #6  
It's optional, but affordable. I think it is less than $400. You can build your own on JD website and the price should show up. I did not get it. The difference is hooking up the driveshaft or not. I didn't see it as that big of a deal. But, if getting down on the ground is a challenge for someone, it's a nice feature.

Is the auto connect standard or optional?

I'll probably pass on the auto connect as well, typically I only remove the deck once a year for maintenance and it looks like these new ones are easier to remove than my 318 deck is.

/ 2014 X739, which deck for best cut? #8  
Yeah. Pretty easy.

I'll probably pass on the auto connect as well, typically I only remove the deck once a year for maintenance and it looks like these new ones are easier to remove than my 318 deck is.

/ 2014 X739, which deck for best cut? #9  
I'd have to recheck MSRP, but I thought Auto Connect was about $250, less whatever discount (10% - 15%), so say $215 - $225 range and if purchased with 60 months 0% That's about $3.75 per month. Even if only once a year - to me that's worth it and probably a lot less expensive than finding out too late that it really would be handy and then having to add later.

I'd have to recheck MSRP, but I thought Auto Connect was about $250, less whatever discount (10% - 15%), so say $215 - $225 range and if purchased with 60 months 0% That's about $3.75 per month. Even if only once a year - to me that's worth it and probably a lot less expensive than finding out too late that it really would be handy and then having to add later.

Its showing $492 when I do the build your own. I had to put in a zip code and select a dealer to get the options prices so it probably varies by dealer or region.