Looking to buy a John Deere X585

/ Looking to buy a John Deere X585 #1  

Yellowfever440

Gold Member
I am looking at a used John deere x585 with 1100 hours on it. It has a Curtis hard cab on it with the electric heater that is heated by the engine coolant. It has work lights and a strobe light with the cab as well. The tractor has a 62 inch deck which is way bigger than I need and a 3 point hitch. I plow drives for a little bit of cash in the winter with it and that funds the fact that I like having a garden tractor as a toy. I have a 425 with 900 hours on it or so and a 54 inch deck. I am mainly interested in the 4 wheel drive. I have also thought of getting a snowblower for the 425 and just having a snowblower and blade with the 425. I also have a skid steer that I have been using but I don't have time to do the dirt work and other stuff to make the skid steer pay for its self. So I'm selling it and probably the 425 and just getting one garden tractor to do all the snowplowing. I have cut the driveways down a bunch but I like plowing snow and having the bigger tractor to do it. With the x585 I was thinking of selling the cab as well I don't really like the way it looks and I don't know how I would like it doing other people's driveways because of trees and other low objects. Yet it would be nice when it's cold. So I guess I am asking advice on a lot. I will lay out a couple options I have and maybe you guys or gals with cone up with better options. 425 with blade and blower, x585 with bad and blower, an all wheel steer with blade and blower? Would the x585 with the deck, cab and 3 point be a good buy at $4900 and 1100 hours? Any thoughts or other questions just throw them out and hopefully I can get some great advice from everyone thanks.

/ Looking to buy a John Deere X585 #2  
The x585 is a good deal assuming it is not beat up :thumbsup:

/ Looking to buy a John Deere X585 #3  
yes, a good deal, almost to good to be true!
i use the same package, but no hot water heater, and the cab is great! and i am a blower
fan all the way over a blade, move the snow once and done. and snowbank buildup is minimal, which
reduces drifting, at least around here it does.
you could easily trade out decks with somebody that has a 54", just put it on craigslist and i'd bet
somebody would take you up on a swapout for your 62.
here's pictures of before and after at the end of my driveway where the plow dumped all this cement like
snow yesterday:

IMG_20140312_171330_986.jpgResizedImage_1394657570132.jpg

/ Looking to buy a John Deere X585
Well its got its battle scars nothing extremely major but definitely not perfect. I don't like paying for perfect because then I won't use it for what it will do I will baby it. I looked under the air cleaner and it has dirt in the intake after the filter. They had a problem with that when this series came out and they updated something but I don't remember what any of the update stuff looks like to see if it was done to the x585. I would really like a 729 or a 749 but gas is more the price and those 2 models are pricey. What would the Curtis cab be worth if I didn't like it?

/ Looking to buy a John Deere X585 #5  
i gotta believe it's $1500, they were over 3K new, plus you have a heater!
there are some mounting plates under the floorboards, sort of a pain to get
on and off.
but if you are going to be blowing more snow than pushing with a blade you
may want to keep it and trim up some trees to make room......

/ Looking to buy a John Deere X585 #7  
I think that is a great deal. I don't know much about the cab though. I don't have one!
I love my blower though! I use the back blade to pull the snow away from the house and fence and than blow the snow out into the woods.
We have a long driveway so the blower is better for us because a blade would make some huge banks.

I didn't buy that 585 it was a little beat up and scratched up. I am young enough that I think the cab is too much for me right now. So I passed and I am looking to buy an 04 x585 with 400 hrs and in perfect shape with a 62 deck and a set of wheel weights for 6500 no tax.

I found another 585 with 400 hours on it and I bought it on Sunday and already have 3 hours on it.

ForumRunner_20140417_082017.png

I was just talking to a friend to see how to weight this x585 for plowing snow. He has an x728 and he said when he put 6 suitcase weights off the back the tractor would slide straight when trying to turn with the plow down. Has anyone looked into putting the weights under the tractor or put a couple up front and some in the back. I realize for under the tractor, on the front or on the sides you would have to build brackets. I was just wondering what everyone else does I usually had 5 weights on the back and 2 pair of wheel weights on my old 455 and it did of steering but I thought with 4wd it would pull the front over. I do also know he has the hydro front axle and mine is mechanical maybe that will help. I was just curious what every else does though thanks for your replies.