Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245)

/ Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245) #1  

torgep22

Tractor
John Deere GT245
When I start my J/D GT245 the the mower blades under the deck start operating. They continue to run weather the PTO switch is on or off. I was mowing a couple of days ago, went to cut the PTO off and the mower blades continued to run. Before that everything ran normal. Any help in solving this probem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

/ Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245) #2  
If it has the electric clutch, look for a bad ground, frayed wire, ect. If it is a Manuel engagement, rusted slides and pulleys might be the culprit.

/ Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245) #3  
Could also be the bearing in the electric clutch binding up or something that got into the electric clutch between the plates and is jamming it up.

/ Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245) #4  
You also have a safety switch problem. If all the safeties are working, you wouldn't be able to get out of the seat, crank the engine etc with the mower drive engaged

/ Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245) #5  
Probably a bearing has seized in the electric clutch. You need to remove the clutch assembly from the unit for examination. One quick way to check the clutch is by setting in the seat, place every thing where it needs to be to start. Without starting the engine turn the switch to the run position. Activate or cycle the deck switch on and off. You should hear a distinct clicking noise when the clutch engages or disengages.

The bearing can be replaced in some clutches if you are careful with removal. A bearing sales location can cross reference the numbers for you.

If the bearing is not replaceable, hold onto the JD parts counter when the Parts Person gives you the replacement cost for the complete unit.

/ Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245) #6  
You also have a safety switch problem. If all the safeties are working, you wouldn't be able to get out of the seat, crank the engine etc with the mower drive engaged

If the clutch was seized, could the mower show that the blades were disengaged while the clutch remained connected? On my mower (not a JD, mind you), the safety switch is on the lever that engages the pully, but if the pully were stuck somehow, the lever could be in the "disengaged" position while the blades were still turning.

/ Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245)
Thanks I'll check

/ Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245) #8  
If the clutch was seized, could the mower show that the blades were disengaged while the clutch remained connected? On my mower (not a JD, mind you), the safety switch is on the lever that engages the pully, but if the pully were stuck somehow, the lever could be in the "disengaged" position while the blades were still turning.

Thats how the JD240 I had was.

So I dont think there is a safety switch issue. If the switch is in the off position, but something is mechanically causing the clutch to stay engaged, the mower dont know that. All it knows is that it killed power to the clutch and the blades should be stopped.

/ Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245) #9  
When the bearing seizes in a clutch assembly it locks the clutch into a direct drive mode. Same as hooking the mower drive belt directly to the crankshaft. Nothing to disengage, the clutch is engaged all the time.

/ Mower Blades will not turn off when engine is running (John Deere GT245) #10  
Another test that you can do to narrow it down is to unplug the electrical connector from the clutch. Of course, do this with the engine off! Move the wires to a safe location then sit on tractor & start it up. If the mower still runs, it's not an electrical problem!