where do you put the throttle on your tractor?

/ where do you put the throttle on your tractor? #1  

johndeereg

Tractor
Cub Cadet 107
I've noticed some of the new tractors and lawn equipment say to always run at full throttle. The x series seem to have plenty of power to do things at lower engine speeds. I know it depends on what you are doing, but if you have a cart with not much weight, or just giving a tractor ride with the kids, the x320, x500 could do this even at idle speed. So, just wondering where you keep the throttle at? Does it make any difference long range running at lower throttle? The engine would be going slower, but the transmission would have less going to that too.

/ where do you put the throttle on your tractor? #2  
I used a JD425 for 19 years. The manual said full throttle. So that is what I did for 19 years. I never had any issues. I think full throttle is about maintaining adequate press for the HST. At lower throttles, the HST seems less than happy: whines more and has less power. I now have an X739, and I will also run it at full throttle anytime I'm moving.

/ where do you put the throttle on your tractor? #3  
I used a JD425 for 19 years. The manual said full throttle. So that is what I did for 19 years. I never had any issues. I think full throttle is about maintaining adequate press for the HST. At lower throttles, the HST seems less than happy: whines more and has less power. I now have an X739, and I will also run it at full throttle anytime I'm moving.

When using the PTO the X739 manual does say "Always operate engine at maximum speed when PTO is engaged.", however, I was unable to find any reference to full throttle for just driving around. I may have missed it, so if you could provide a reference for the X739 that would be appreciated. Otherwise, I run my 3320 at PTO speed for mowing, but often between 1300 - 1500 for driving around and other easy tasks. Haven't had much chance to use the X739 yet, but will probably run at partial throttle for driving around / pulling lawn cart etc. Did the same with previous Craftsman for 7 years with no apparent ill effects.

/ where do you put the throttle on your tractor? #4  
The lawn mower JD La135se full throttle, except when backing into the barn. The tractor Kioti DK35se hst.. It depends on what I am doing.. Often just 1800 or so, but when need more power, I run it up. When mowing sometimes up to the the 540 mark, sometimes not, just depends.

/ where do you put the throttle on your tractor? #5  
Only time I run the JD2210 full throttle is when mowing. All other duties 1500 to minimize vibration.

Only times I run M9540 full throttle is when roading and heavy tillage work. Piddly work and FEL work just off idle.

/ where do you put the throttle on your tractor? #6  
I run my Ventrac at 2500 for cutting and 2000 for putzing around. My Massey at 1500 for putzing and 1800 for work. My Kioti at 1800 to 2000 for putzing and 2400 for mowing.

/ where do you put the throttle on your tractor? #7  
I think the throttle settings might be different for a GT vs. a SCUT/CUT. CinderSchnauzer, I don't have easy access to my manual. I just assumed it would be the same for my new X. I have tried it a bit a lesser rpms and it sure does make her whine. At full rpms, no whine at all. I'm going to stay with full throttle whether I can find it in the manual or not. Worked excellent for 19 years and that old tractor still has no whine and I worked her pretty hard over the years pulling some heavy loads.

/ where do you put the throttle on your tractor? #8  
I run my Ventrac at 2500 for cutting and 2000 for putzing around. My Massey at 1500 for putzing and 1800 for work. My Kioti at 1800 to 2000 for putzing and 2400 for mowing.

Where ya been Murph, I been worried sick!!! ;)

/ where do you put the throttle on your tractor? #9  
On an air cooled gasoline engine, the reason for running at full throttle is to pull maximum amount of air through the fan and across the cooling fins.

/ where do you put the throttle on your tractor?
didn't think of that. Does it really make a difference for the life of engine going at half or full throttle?