New Owner of a John Deere X500

/ New Owner of a John Deere X500 #1  

drhjmacleod

Tractor
JD X500
I think I finally bought the right mower for my yard! My backyard is on a hill and it can be a challenge to cut. When I moved in, I had an L110 which I realized was not going to last, so before any problems started, I sold it. I was planning on doing some landscaping and re-grading in the lower portion of my backyard, so I bought a used JD 2210. It was a great SCUT, but once I was done with my landscaping and spreading 15 yards of topsoil, I realized it was overkill for what I needed and it took up a lot of space in the garage. Not to mention, I did not have a great place to store the FEL, so I sold it back in 2012 to buy a new riding mower. Back then, I had two riding mowers on my list; a Simplicity Broadmoor and a JD X500. I agonized over which one to get and I ended up buying the Broadmoor. It was about a grand cheaper and I felt it would meet my needs. I was intrigued by the free floating deck that I had read a lot of positive things about. I also wanted the automatic traction control (ACT) that was standard with the Broadmoor's K57 transaxle. After living with the Simplicity for 2 years, I realized I had shortchanged myself and I should have purchased the X500. The ACT was more of a gimmick, as it would only work if you were driving straight. Once you started turning, it would not work. I also realized that although the 46" deck gave a nice cut, I could not cut my grass as tall as I wanted. I raised the deck to it's highest setting and could not get it close to the max height Simplicity claimed it would cut at. So, I took a bath and sold the Simplicity this spring.

As I reviewed the 500 series, I realized what I wanted JD did not offer which was a real bummer. I would have loved to purchase an X530 with a 48" deck. The 48" deck was a requirement as the 54" deck that I had on the 2210 would scalp several spots in my yard. I really wanted the power steering (which I have read many people say once you have it, you will not go without it), the HDAP tires and the hydraulic lift on the deck, however the most important was the 48" deck. I almost bought an X540 with a 48" deck, but I did not want to spend the extra money on a liquid cooled engine. I only put 25-30 hours on the mower per year and I just could not justify buying a liquid cooled engine, not to mention the extra maintenance and repairs later on. What really made the decision for me was in another post I read the radiator for the LC engine was over $500. Hopefully it would never fail, but I can't imagine spending that much on a tiny radiator.

So, I ended up buying an X500. The way I figured it, for the money I saved I could buy a bagger or a front blade and still come out a head by not buying the X540. The only thing I did beyond the base X500 was I had the dealer upgrade the rear tires to HDAPs. They are AWESOME!!! Once I got it, I added a JD brush guard, mulching kit and a rear single bucket holder. I could not be happier with the purchase and feel this will be the mower I use for the next 15-20 years.

Don't make the same mistakes I made, but a 500 series JD!!! I would like to thank all of the contributors to TBN as there is a wealth of information online from it's members to help people make the right choice.

P1030317.jpgP1030319.jpg

/ New Owner of a John Deere X500 #2  
Congrats. Nice looking machine. Seeing the pic of the bucket holder makes me think I should look into that for my rider.

/ New Owner of a John Deere X500 #3  
Nice looking machine.......should be great for you. Pretty pricey???

/ New Owner of a John Deere X500
The single bucket comes in handy and it does not get in the way of the utility trailer I tow around the yard. I think it is a great accessory to add!

It was pricey for a riding mower...around $5500 before taxes. Although if I think about how much it cost me with having bought and sold the Simplicity, it would be a few thousand more!

/ New Owner of a John Deere X500 #6  
Great choice on the tractor, not too many complaints about the JD x series,

Unrelated to the tractor but heard in the new that CLP wants a rate hike, could cost us in CT another 7-8 bucks a month, this state is in trouble, they have pocketed every increase over the past 20 years, now they need infrastructure upgrades and need a rate hike, Are you kidding, we have the highest rates in the country !!

From CT

Great choice on the tractor, not too many complaints about the JD x series,

Unrelated to the tractor but heard in the new that CLP wants a rate hike, could cost us in CT another 7-8 bucks a month, this state is in trouble, they have pocketed every increase over the past 20 years, now they need infrastructure upgrades and need a rate hike, Are you kidding, we have the highest rates in the country !!

From CT

I feel your pain!!! I have oil heat, an electric hot water heater and an electric dryer. I must be one of their favorite customers. UGH!!!

/ New Owner of a John Deere X500 #8  
Congrats on your new X500! You sound very pleased, as that is just what every manufacturer wants to hear: another very satisfied customer.

Enjoy it and care for it, as it will surely serve you well and give you great pleasure.
Nothing runs like a Deere!

/ New Owner of a John Deere X500 #9  
Man, I would love one of those! Unfortunately, my old LT-150 shows no sign of retirement any time soon....

/ New Owner of a John Deere X500 #10  
I know it's been a year since this post....but I'll take a shot. I'm looking at the same mower, x500, and wondering about your thoughts on it after a year of use. Good and bad. Thanks.