x5x5 series decks

/ x5x5 series decks #1  

Yellowfever440

Gold Member
Does the 54c inch deck cut better on the x585 than the 62c deck? I have measured everything and leveled the deck. I have also cleaned the deck down to the paint underneath. It just seems like there is a poor air flow and it doesn't cut level at all. So I was wondering if it would help to go down to the 54 since I don't need this big of a deck for my 100 ft by 120 ft lot. I would rather have the quality cut. I removed the discharge chute and that didn't seem to matter either way I am using John deere high lift blades. Maybe that was a poor decision.

/ x5x5 series decks #2  
Sure, the smaller deck size would be a choice for the lot size. I personally like the way a larger deck cuts. The surface irregularties below the grass also greatly affects the cut quality.

When did you first become disappointed with the cut? With this JD? Or, did another previous machine have better cut quality?

/ x5x5 series decks
Well I have a 2 wheel steer 455 with a 60 inch deck and a 2 wheel steer 425 with a 54 inch deck and I personally thought they both cut at least a little bit better than this 62. The way the deck is made at the back side of the chute opening makes it catch grass and leave a line their with the chute off. I just thought it would cut better than it does. I will play with it a little more I have only put 8 hrs on the mower and only 2 or 3 hrs are mowing so maybe I will get it.

/ x5x5 series decks #4  
In 2003 I up-traded to an X485 with the 54C deck and was very disappointed in the cut quality over the previous 54" decks on my 425 and 445.
My solution was to pick up a used 455 with a 54" deck for mowing, and a used 425 with 54" deck for the MC519 cart. Cut quality of these older decks WITHOUT the hi-lift blades is great.
Now the X485 is only used for the broom, the sprayer rig, and the 800# roller.

/ x5x5 series decks
I thought about getting another mower to mow with like an older zero turn or a 425 aws

/ x5x5 series decks
I was taught at a deere dealer to level the deck side to side then front to back and always make the front an 1/8 inch lower then the back and that will give you the absolute best quality cut possible. I mow around 3.5 inches. I haven't tried mowing shorter to see if that would help.

/ x5x5 series decks #7  
The 62in deck on my X595 is a major let down, it's more of a grass bender , the high lift blades help but still is not a great cut. The anti scarf wheels are total junk as well, been thru so many sets of wheels, bearings shafts that I just have put them as high as they will go and forget about it...

/ x5x5 series decks #8  
Scottster
Are you leveling the deck so the tractor carries the deck so the deck wheels do not ??

I get years from a set of deck wheels.

/ x5x5 series decks
Ya the gauge wheels should rub the grass so they may not turn all the time and should only contact the ground when you drive through pot holes. And I have been let down by my x585 62 inch deck as well.

/ x5x5 series decks #10  
Yellowfever, are you leveling the deck side to side AND front to back per the owner's manual? I.e., are you measuring the blade TIPS with a measuring gauge?

Also, have you tried some Oregon Gator Blades? I'm sure they make some G5's for that deck, and they may have G6's for it too. If you've got the deck set up correctly (probably 1/8" - 1/4" lower in the front than the back, and level from side to side), then experimenting with blades would be the next step.

Have you checked to see if a mulch kit is available? I wonder if that might help the quality of cut.