choice of John Deere riding mower

/ choice of John Deere riding mower #1  

Ed755

Tractor
John Deere 755
I have a 755 with a midmount 60" mower which I have had and enjoyed for years. However, there are some areas which are too narrow (my wife keeps planting stuff) or overhanging branches are too low, for my 755 to get into. I am thinking about getting a basic JD mower as an auxiliary around the house trimming and tight space mower, without breaking the bank. I see they have the D series and I am wondering if there is a baseline you should not go below. Thinking D130 at first blush, but would some of the less expensive models do just as well? And a narrower deck would probably be a plus, for the tight squeeze situations. Would not be getting real heavy duty use, hardest part is some sidehill at base of stone wall patio, without sliding away when it is wet. (I know, just go when it is dry. My fwd 755 has weight in the rear wheels and it can make a mess when it is too damp.) No steep uphill or downhill, my 755 takes care of those sections.
Has to be reliable.
Any thoughts?

/ choice of John Deere riding mower #2  
They are made to meet the price point at the big box stores. I would look for a used (like 345) for the same as a new d series. If it was my money.

/ choice of John Deere riding mower #3  
Agree with mfreund, but for my money it would be the 425, 445, or 455 in the AWS (all wheel steer) with 54" deck.

I see some good deals on this series if they have a 48" mower deck (used price not so high).

/ choice of John Deere riding mower #5  
For just around the house and stuff I would be looking for a walk-behind. Can't remember what deere has but I remember cub having a twin blade, like 32" maybe, that wasn't real expensive.

If it has to be a rider, then I second the 345 recommendation. The 400 series is getting pretty big, but could probably replace the 755 entirely for mowing purposes.

/ choice of John Deere riding mower #6  
JD Buy Online price for both D130 & D140 is $1,899. Is that your budget? You will get better recommendations if you advise as to range of your spending expectations.

/ choice of John Deere riding mower
JD Buy Online price for both D130 & D140 is $1,899. Is that your budget? You will get better recommendations if you advise as to range of your spending expectations.
Having thought about it some, I would say that is more than I want to spend. Started looking for used copies of earlier models with relatively narrow decks. the walk behind suggestion makes a lot of sense, but I am 74+, get short of breath, and have had a couple of coronary incidents, so am not eager to go that route. I may just let it grow. :)

/ choice of John Deere riding mower #8  
I have a 755 with a midmount 60" mower which I have had and enjoyed for years. However, there are some areas which are too narrow (my wife keeps planting stuff) or overhanging branches are too low, for my 755 to get into. I am thinking about getting a basic JD mower as an auxiliary around the house trimming and tight space mower, without breaking the bank. I see they have the D series and I am wondering if there is a baseline you should not go below. Thinking D130 at first blush, but would some of the less expensive models do just as well? And a narrower deck would probably be a plus, for the tight squeeze situations. Would not be getting real heavy duty use, hardest part is some sidehill at base of stone wall patio, without sliding away when it is wet. (I know, just go when it is dry. My fwd 755 has weight in the rear wheels and it can make a mess when it is too damp.) No steep uphill or downhill, my 755 takes care of those sections.
Has to be reliable.
Any thoughts?

Save your money and drive your 755 through the small gaps. They will widen out and the wife will stop planting there eventually. Cut the branches off that are hanging to low.

/ choice of John Deere riding mower #9  
We got a D110 not too long ago. It does what we need it to which is mow way too large a lawn around the house and then again at the cabin. I have found it to be pretty maneuverable in most places, even some a lot tighter than I expected. Starts every time no problems. More than enough power to do anything I have asked of it, including mowing down 4ft tall patches to get my travel trailer out of where it had become overgrown.

It was our first mower, so I don't know if all do this, but to mow in reverse you have to hold down an override button on the front panel which is a pain. I assume its supposed to be a "safety" feature, but what is safe about forcing you to be facing forward to mow backwards?

/ choice of John Deere riding mower
Deere Dude probably gives the best advice.... :)