X310-Loud noise that sounds like hydraulic system issue

/ X310-Loud noise that sounds like hydraulic system issue #1  

packer1227

Tractor
Ford 3400-John Deere X310-Farmall 240
Hi everyone. I have a fairly new JD X310 which I love except for the loud whining noise, which seems to come from the front end, possibly where the power steering cylinder is located. Does anyone have this issue and is it normal, which I have read on another forum, or is this an actual problem with the hydraulic system? Thanks for any information. The tractor is the best lawn type tractor I have owned and I'm considering buying the snow blower, weights and chains for this winter, but want to make sure this loud noise is not a major problem. :confused3:

/ X310-Loud noise that sounds like hydraulic system issue #2  
Welcome to TBN
I'd have the dealer check it out, and also see if they have another X310 to run for you to see if the noise is the same.

From your description, can't tell what kind of noise and what it would be.

Does it do it regardless if in forward/reverse motion, or if the mower is engaged? Or when turning, or is it there all the time.
Does it change pitch with the rpm of the engine? or the speed of the tractor? or when the steering wheel is turned.

/ X310-Loud noise that sounds like hydraulic system issue #3  
Hi everyone. I have a fairly new JD X310 which I love except for the loud whining noise, which seems to come from the front end, possibly where the power steering cylinder is located. Does anyone have this issue and is it normal, which I have read on another forum, or is this an actual problem with the hydraulic system? Thanks for any information. The tractor is the best lawn type tractor I have owned and I'm considering buying the snow blower, weights and chains for this winter, but want to make sure this loud noise is not a major problem. :confused3:

How many hours does it have on it? When did you last change the transmission/hydraulic fluid?

/ X310-Loud noise that sounds like hydraulic system issue
How many hours does it have on it? When did you last change the transmission/hydraulic fluid?

Hi thanks for the quick reply. It has only 60 hours on it. When I got it this year it had the sound from the start. I have looked at reviews for this mower and most love the tractor, me included but some say the same thing about the loudness. Its from under the front end and it sounds hydraulic to me. Very similar to a power steering whine which this tractor does have. Some users as well as me think it is hydraulic/power steering noise.

/ X310-Loud noise that sounds like hydraulic system issue #5  
Does it do it regardless if in forward/reverse motion, or if the mower is engaged? Or when turning, or is it there all the time.
Does it change pitch with the rpm of the engine? or the speed of the tractor? or when the steering wheel is turned.

Any comment for these questions?

Hi been there. Thanks for the quick reply. The noise is constant whether mower on or off, turning our not, high or low rpm, fast speed or slow. It definitely sounds hydraulic and seems to be under the front end where the power steering cylinder is. I've read a number of reports stating the tractor is great except for the loud noise from the hydraulic system. I have not found any reports of it being a problem only that unfortunately that's a normal sound for this tractor.

Also forgot to tell you it doesn't matter if your turning or not. The noise is the same and it does not get louder with high rpm. Thanks for your help.

/ X310-Loud noise that sounds like hydraulic system issue #8  
Thanks for the info.

/ X310-Loud noise that sounds like hydraulic system issue #9  
Hi thanks for the quick reply. It has only 60 hours on it. When I got it this year it had the sound from the start. I have looked at reviews for this mower and most love the tractor, me included but some say the same thing about the loudness. Its from under the front end and it sounds hydraulic to me. Very similar to a power steering whine which this tractor does have. Some users as well as me think it is hydraulic/power steering noise.

The transmission fluid and the transmission filter is supposed to be changed at 50 hours according to the service schedule. If you don't know if that was done, I would change it.

/ X310-Loud noise that sounds like hydraulic system issue #10  
Might disconnect the drive belt to the transaxle and see if that changes the noise, or eliminates it.