Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 445

Default John Deere 445 stumbles on cold start

Hello eveyone. I recently picked up a 1995 445 with 1100 hrs on the clock. Seems to run well. Has had the cam gear upgrade. I did a full 200hr type service. What I don't knwo is why at a full cold start with 1/2 throttle or so, she will fire right up and then stumble and cough for 4-5 seconds like it's flooding. It then cleans up and runs very well for the rest of the day. Once it did flood it self out. After cleaning the plugs it was fine. I don't know. Is this a function of a faulty sensor or just a trait of these fuel injected tractors? Any advice would be appreciated. It only occurs at cold start. Thanks, George

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

Default Re: John Deere 445 stumbles on cold start

Have you tried a different throttle setting for warm-up time?

Tractor
    John Deere 445

It seems that if I move the throttle slightly after startup it clears up. What do you suggest?

Gold Member
    Tractor
    LX188/445/755

Quote Originally Posted by olgreyhair View Post
    What I don't know is why at a full cold start with 1/2 throttle or so, she will fire right up and then stumble and cough for 4-5 seconds like it's flooding. It then cleans up and runs very well for the rest of the day.
    Are you turning the switch on and letting the light go out before cranking it?

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by BBO View Post
    Are you turning the switch on and letting the light go out before cranking it?
    That could cause the stumbling problem, if starting too soon.

Also, if run out of fuel or the fuel filter was replaced, may need to bleed the fuel pressure by opening the "fuel pressure relief screw". Just a thought.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-07-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Tractor
    John Deere 445

It seems more like a momentary flooding problem really. Thinking worn injector or sluggish MAP sensor. I had a motorcycle once with a bad coolant temp sensor. It thought it was cold all the time and would flood itself out.

Bronze Member

Neighbor just picked up a old 445 - had the same issue. I watched him go through his start up procedure and he was cranking it right away and had throttle set at 1/2 - 3/4. Brought throttle all the way down and and made him wait a two count after fuel pump quite whining - solved his prob.

Super Star Member
    Tractor

The OP has not said if he waits for the pump to stop before starting engine.

Tractor
    John Deere 445

Quote Originally Posted by wolfe1 View Post
    Neighbor just picked up a old 445 - had the same issue. I watched him go through his start up procedure and he was cranking it right away and had throttle set at 1/2 - 3/4. Brought throttle all the way down and and made him wait a two count after fuel pump quite whining - solved his prob.
    Not sure if I understand. Are you saying that he cranked it over after waiting a 2count after the injection light on the dashgoes off and has the throttle set at or a bit above idle? please let me know. Thanks, George

Bronze Member

George - When you first turn the key you should be able to hear a slight whine of the fuel pump building pressure. When that sound stops he waits about 2 seconds and then attempts to crank it. The throttle is all the way down at its lowest setting. Fires right up and runs smooth. We went through this about a month or so ago and these are all the details I remember - if you need anymore info let me know. I do the same thing on my X485 which is essentially the same tractor. I run sea foam through my intake every 200 hours or so and it makes a nice difference - I have over 700 hours now and I swear it gets smoother with age.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast