Blades slowing to a stop in grass!

/ Blades slowing to a stop in grass! #1  

MetalChicken

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case 4230
So I've had a used (ex-commercial use) x740 delivered for me to try. Oddly, at first the deck wouldn't start up when the PTO switch was pulled up, but after I fiddled with some wires/rotated the blades by hand it started up. But then when I moved off the driveway and onto the grass the blades slowed and then stopped.
If I lifted the deck the blades might start again but then they'd slow and stop again when the deck was lowered to the grass.

I've called the dealer and they're coming out on Monday but in the meantime does anyone have any ideas why this should happen? Does the battery state have anything to do with this as I suspect the battery is no good.

Quick edit: Although the blades slow down the engine/transmission stay unchanged and are fine..... it's just the blades.

Last edited:
   / Blades slowing to a stop in grass! #2  
i would have somebody watch the deck, particularly the drive shaft, as you go into
the grassy area
there is a chance a key or bolt is missing where the pto shaft connects to the
gearbox... enough friction to start the deck with no load but not enough
to keep it running

the belt tension is the 2nd place to look, possibly the spring tension is not
hooked properly, leading to the same issue..

/ Blades slowing to a stop in grass!
Just had a another look at it and the PTO shaft is fine as is the tension spring - belt nice and tight. The only thing I can think of is that the PTO clutch has died.

/ Blades slowing to a stop in grass! #4  
Just had a another look at it and the PTO shaft is fine as is the tension spring - belt nice and tight. The only thing I can think of is that the PTO clutch has died.
I think you are right. Those are electrically operated so a weak battery and perhaps a dead alternator to keep the battery charged is not pulling it in.
It might be all three of the above that are bad or just 1 or two. You wont know for sure till it is fixed. Make the dealer fix the switch also. AND for safeties sake, don't stick your hand under the deck of a running mower, it could kick in at any time and sever your hand.

I might just stick the big battery from my tractor in to see if that makes a difference.

Edit: Just tried that and no real difference. I'll leave it to the dealer to fix it and bring it back for a proper trial. It is really rather nice though!!

Last edited:
   / Blades slowing to a stop in grass! #6  
Some of those electric clutches can be adjusted by using a feeler gage and tighten some bolts.

A good battery is essential.

You could measure the voltage and amps to the electric clutch for specs.

If you use it like it is to long, you will lose your clutch material and require a new clutch.

They run about $150.

/ Blades slowing to a stop in grass! #7  
these clutches are wet clutches in the transmission, with an external solenoid,
so if it's internal then the tranny would be coming apart for repairs..

/ Blades slowing to a stop in grass! #8  
Do you have electric clutch or hyd clutch for the blades?

/ Blades slowing to a stop in grass! #9  
Dutch445 is right, and the mower deck is driven by a PTO shaft coming from the front side of the tranny. Internal to the tranny is the clutch.
Nothing like the electric clutches to activate the belt driven mower decks.

J_J: Yep clutch is in the tranny so a pretty big deal to fix - although I have no idea how much it would cost. Took the tractor out today and just about managed to mow some of the grass by keeping the deck higher than it should have been.
Really like the X740 and the engine seems to be sweet so hoping the dealer and I can come to a suitable arrangement on this.