AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors

/ AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors #1  

JDGREEN4ME

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, John Deere X534, GT 225, GT 275
We are looking to buy a home and property in upstate PA and there are some steep slopes and not really any level spots on the whole yard. Current owner uses a zero turn but stated he has gone for some slide rides that scared him. I was wondering if the 700 Series AWS/AWD model might be a better choice for this.

/ AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors #2  
I'm a believer, my X739 has never slipped or even scuffed the grass on some steep, damp slopes that have tight turns to get around trees and shrubs. Before that I had a 2 wheel drive JD318 that spun the tires often in those situations.

/ AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors #3  
I have never run one, but I don't see how it could do anything but help in your situation. I know on my tractor on many spots of my property, if it was not 4WD, it would be totally useless.

/ AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors #4  
I am not sure is you can get AWS ( all wheel steer) and AWD (all wheel drive) on the same tractor. Just letting you know there is a difference in the two.

I think it will work much better than a zero turn.

/ AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors #5  
The x729, x739, x749 from deere are all wheel drive and all wheel steer.

/ AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors #6  
I've owned a 2wd aws (425) and now an X739 (aws/awd). Both are excellent on hills. The combo u can't get is diesel, aws, and awd. Pick any two. Aws/awd together are only available on gassers.

/ AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors #7  
TORO has one, the Groundsmaster 360 Quad Steer 4WD.
30534GM360_2WD_30534.jpg Groundsmaster-360-4WD-30537GM360_4WD_30537.jpg
With cab.
Groundsmaster-360-4WD-with-Safety-Cab-30540GM360Cab_30540.jpg
Quad-Steer™ True All-Wheel Steering
All Season Permanent Safety Cab with AC/Heating
Kubota® 36 hp (26.8 kW), 4-Cylinder, Liquid-Cooled Diesel Engine
183 cm Width of Cut in either Side Discharge, Rear Discharge, or Guardian® Recycler® Configuration
Toro | Groundsmaster® 360 Quad-Steer

/ AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors #8  
I realize you folks are talking mostly John Deere here.
If you looking to save a little money, for $5300 Husqvarna has the R322T AWD articulating mower.
Very good on steep slopes and is very nimble around objects.
It also has an out front easy service mowing deck.

Husqvarna Rider Concept: Product Demonstration - YouTube

JDGreen4ME....Southeast PA ?
I use to live in Warminster, PA from 1978-1992
Got a little crowded so moved to Maine.
Upstate PA would be nice too.

Last edited:
   / AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors #9  
There is an orange AWD mower as well.

/ AWS/AWD Lawn Tractors #10  
Another thing that will help is to use wheel weights. Also, max out the psi in the front tires, and run the psi in the rear tires as low as you dare. Makes a big difference in my sloped back yard.