Which model for snowblowing 500' driveway?

/ Which model for snowblowing 500' driveway? #1  

danwolfgang

Tractor
Deere 1025R
I'm in the process of buying a home and need a tractor. With a few Deere dealers nearby that seems like the appropriate choice, but which model? (I haven't visited any of those dealers yet.) There's only about 1/2 acre to mow (though that may grow over the years as we clear some more of the property), however there's a flat 500' driveway that I'll need to clean. It seems to me that the demands to blow the driveway will far exceed the mowing and other light hauling and yard cleanup the tractor will be used for. If it weren't for the blowing, I'd think an X300 would be more than adequate for a very long life of use. But what will the flat 500' driveway require -- step up to an x320? x360? Even an x500? Any input is appreciated.

Dan

Last edited:
   / Which model for snowblowing 500' driveway? #2  
Welcome to TBN!
Think about your future plans on the property, and use that as a guide now. If you foresee
clearing land, maybe regrading the area, and growing more lawn, you may want to consider a
small CUT with a loader and 3ph. Sure is a lot more $$$ than a lawn tractor, but for landscaping
projects its a nice tool to have.
Another option, a used X700 style tractor can also be found with a small loader, and they have
sturdy attachments like the front blade or blower, and an optional 3ph for a tiller.
If these projects are still in the maybe stage, then you can get away with an X3 or X5 to do
the snow removal, leaning towards the X5 for the differential lock and larger tires and increased
weight which will aid in traction with the blower on. Again, if new isn't in the budget used machines
are out there with very low hours at a bit of a savings.
How much land is there on this property?

/ Which model for snowblowing 500' driveway?
Yes, I'm thinking about future use. Ground engagement for a tiller may be in the future, but I have no expectation of clearing the property with such a small tractor. We've got 2+ acres and some more of it may get cleared for grass/garden/playing (perhaps another 1/2+ acre?), but I don't expect to do that myself. (I'm betting it would make a lot more economical sense to bring in some heavier equipment for a few days to clear if/when we do that.) I expect the tractor to be used for snow, lawn, typical yard work with a cart, and probably some rides with my son.

/ Which model for snowblowing 500' driveway? #4  
As Dutch states getting a little bigger machine like a CUT in the 1023/1026R or similar would give you more versatility down the road.

I would think with 500' drive a front mount snow blower would be ideal, and then a rear blade for cleanup and counter weight.

/ Which model for snowblowing 500' driveway? #5  
Bite the bullet and go with the X700 series and get 4WD. Your going to find more and more uses as time goes on.

I bought a 355D and while it was a good machine the 2WD is a pain. I have about 400' of driveway. The X748 does it all with never spinning a tire. I won't use chains on it since I have a blacktop drive.

In the long run I'd have saved money getting the X748 originally.

/ Which model for snowblowing 500' driveway? #6  
For my 530 foot gravel driveway and another 300 foot driveway I use a 30 HP 4wd CUT with the Frontier 64" wide 3 point snow blower.

/ Which model for snowblowing 500' driveway? #7  
I have a similar length driveway and I second the recommendation to make sure you get 4WD. If you're thinking of things like clearing that drive, tilling a garden, and clearing a bit of land yourself then I'd personally get a 1026R. It's a lot of money, but it's super-versatile. I highly doubt that you'll ever wish you'd purchased a smaller tractor...

For our 4.2 acre property (nearly all wooded) with about 600' of driveway (and two garage aprons), I bought a 2032R with a 54" front-mount snowblower, a loader with forks and a bucket, and a box scraper. It's more than we need, but my wife and I spent the evening in the woods with it today and I'm glad that I didn't get anything smaller. I'm already zeroing in on the next implements that I want to buy!

/ Which model for snowblowing 500' driveway? #8  
At this point in time, I'd go for a fairly cheap riding mower and a plow for your truck or SUV.
You could also consider one of the older Deere CUTs (755, 855, 4100 or similar)...or another brand (Kubota BX2200 or B-7500). Most of these can be had for less then $10K..much less if you look around enough. And you might find one with a front mounted snow blower!
Future plans to expand your lawn may require other larger equipment (and a zero-turn mower may be a better choice then)...other you may never increase that .5 acre you're going to mow. That decision can come at a later date.

/ Which model for snowblowing 500' driveway? #9  
This is what you need to go look at.

Attachments

• 1-Blowerdown.jpg
    1-Blowerdown.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 354
   / Which model for snowblowing 500' driveway? #10  
I would say a 500' driveway could be easily handled with an x500 (with chains) since its flat. In CT your not getting daily snow. I saw a new x500 for $5.1k online. This is the time to buy for sure.

You can always trade up if you have the need.