John Deere Guidance (Lawn Tractor)

/ John Deere Guidance (Lawn Tractor) #1  

Matt74

Tractor
Looking
Hey Everyone,
I am in the middle of a dilemma. At this time we have enough to purchase a new X320 from the dealer with a 48" deck and full 4 year warranty. Problem is that I have been reading some pretty bad horror stories about the X320. At the current time we have a house sitting on 8 acres of which only 1 is cleared now. We will be clearing another acre or two for a larger back yard and shop. The property is pretty hilly but not real steep except in two areas.

So here is my Dilemma, do I get the X320 or find a X520 with 4 wheel drive? WHat other models are there around the $4k area that will last and not have problems or be easier to maintain. Would like John Deere but it is not a have to have. Open to other makes.

/ John Deere Guidance (Lawn Tractor) #2  
Go with the bigger X, and you won't regret moving up a notch later on. And I've never regretted going JD, but have known many friends who have made other brands their choice but have to live with the problems and low trade-in values down the line. Get something you can build on in your future.
Get past this dilemma and the skies will be brighter in your new home and on your acreage.

/ John Deere Guidance (Lawn Tractor) #3  
I had an X320 at our last home. We had 0.8 acres and there was a hill down the side (walk-out ranch) and a steep hill at the back. I'd say that the X320 was a good mower overall, but barely enough mower for that much land and terrible on hills. If the grass was damp, I would get "one wheel peel" trying to go up the hill and would have to mow it across instead of up and down. Even when traction wasn't a problem, it didn't really have enough power to mow and climb that hill simultaneously and the mowing quality suffered on the hill. If I hadn't inherited that mower, I would have purchased a nice zero-turn.

Do you want to do anything but mow? Eight acres is plenty for a lot of tractor work. Our new home has a bit over 4 acres, almost all wooded. I bought a John Deere 2032R and I am constantly using the loader with a bucket or forks to move trees or some other kind of project. And I was just out clearing our drive with the front-mount snowblower. My latest purchase is a flail mower to clear the overgrowth in the woods. If you want to clear snow, till a garden, haul firewood, maintain your woods, or any of a million other things, then you should be looking at a proper tractor with a loader and three-point hitch. The Kubota BX and B-series are great tractors. I also looked at the 1025R from John Deere before I settled on my 2032R.

On the other hand, if all you're going to do is mow, then I recommend a much more serious mower. Considering your plan to end up with 2-3 cleared acres, I'd probably look at a commercial zero-turn if it can handle the hills you have. Otherwise, a 4wd lawn tractor with the biggest deck you can find.

/ John Deere Guidance (Lawn Tractor)
I would love to have a sub-compact tractor with a loader but it is out of our budget. I want to do more than mow so a zero turn is out of the question. Trying to figure out what is going to be the best bang for my buck with the budget we have. If anyone knows of a good JD tractor with loader and mower that would be around $4k please let me know.

/ John Deere Guidance (Lawn Tractor) #5  
I know it's easy to spend your money, but I honestly don't think the class of tractor you are looking at is going to be sufficient in the long-term.

If you are on a tight budget, why does it have to be new? I'd see what you can afford in a used compact utility tractor. John Deere is nice, but there are a lot of other good brands out there.

I am not stuck on new and I am not stuck on JD. Asking for options out there so I can try and get the best option for my budget.

/ John Deere Guidance (Lawn Tractor) #7  
So here is my Dilemma, do I get the X320 or find a X520 with 4 wheel drive?

For hilly terrain a X5xx would be a better choice. Instead of 4WD consider 2WD with HDAP rear tires. A new X500 would run around $6K+ but you may be able to find a used one for $4K?

/ John Deere Guidance (Lawn Tractor) #8  
When dealing with hills I would recommend the 4x4 hands down. Saves a lot of slipping and can pull up hill with trailers or other attachments much better than a 2wd. I only had shallow grades and my JD D130 spins easily if I am not carful. My Kubota BX2200 never slips even when wet. 4wd is just easier on the lawn.

Snow may not be an issue for you but if it is you will appreciate the 4wd. JD is a good choice but other brands are also good choices.

The only reason I keep running John Deere is because I have no idea what other brands there is. Every time I look at Kubota's, they are real expensive.

/ John Deere Guidance (Lawn Tractor) #10  
I have a lot of reasons for running John Deere. And I do have an idea what the other brands are. Kubota is improving their lot, IMO.

For slopes and mowing, I'm impressed with the AWS and how mine stick to side hills. Places where zero turn would fail to go, but 4x4 would do ok.