Tuff Torq tranny problem

/ Tuff Torq tranny problem #1  

jimbrizzolara

Tractor
John Deere STX-38
Hello out there, this is my first post. This looked like the place where maybe I could get some information about my 1994 John Deere STX-38 lawn tractor (black deck). Recently the tractor stopped moving while I was mowing my lawn on a flat area. I isolated the problem to the transmission; belt, pulleys and so on were okay. Now I have the tranny off of the tractor. The input shaft (with the fan on top) turns freely and when I turn an axle the other one turns the opposite direction. Buying a new tranny is out of the question so this is a last ditch effort to see if I can salvage the tractor. My questions are, when I split the cases should I watch out for parts flying out, and can replacement parts be found for this transmission? I'm a little bummed about paying quite a bit more for this tractor than a Craftsman or MTD years ago, and then finding out that it has a light-duty "non-serviceable" transmission.

/ Tuff Torq tranny problem #2  
I'm a little bummed about paying quite a bit more for this tractor than a Craftsman or MTD years ago, and then finding out that it has a light-duty "non-serviceable" transmission.

2015 - 1994 = 21 years old.

If you wanted a heavy duty tractor - then you should have purchased a garden tractor. Just think how many Craftsman and Murray tractors you'd have gone through in that time period...

It's a 21 year old light duty lawn tractor. At some point, they wear out. The parts for those type of tractors are generally just replaceable units as the cost to rebuild a transmission is more than the cost of an entirely new unit when labor is factored in with parts.

Be proactive if you really want to repair it - take some time and call the transmission manufacturer directly yourself. I'm fairly sure they can direct you to a distributor if parts are available.

If it's a Tuff Torq transmission, you can go to their parts website, register and find out what parts are available.

If they don't show parts listed for the model transmission you have - then, obviously you can't repair it. If they do, then you can.

/ Tuff Torq tranny problem
Thanks for the response. I'll take it apart and find out what I need, and if it's available.

/ Tuff Torq tranny problem #4  
Thanks for the response. I'll take it apart and find out what I need, and if it's available.

I recommend you read through the repair publications BEFORE you take it apart. That way you can follow the repair process with some guidance.

/ Tuff Torq tranny problem #5  
I just got rid of a Scotts/JD/Home-Depot mower that had a TuffTorq K66 transmission. Mine was 13 years old and considered myself lucky for it to last that long.

Get rid of it and buy a new riding mower / garden tractor. A 20+ year old hydro that is having problems is going to be more expensive to fix than to replace. Even fixed, there are going to be other issues with that 20+ year old mower.

You had a **** good run. Get a new one.

/ Tuff Torq tranny problem #6  
Contact Tuff Torq and get as much info as you can. You may be pleasantly surprised at how simple the fix is, and how helpful the Tuff Torq info is getting up and running again.