John Deere D170 PTO not working.

/ John Deere D170 PTO not working. #1  

mikedow

Tractor
John Deere 170
I have a John Deere D170. The engine running fine. PTO just stopped in the middle of knowing. No Noise...just stopped. Belt pk. External electrical components working. Any idea as to the cause? The PTO Switch is a little loose (age) but all connections seem to be tight.

/ John Deere D170 PTO not working. #2  
Maybe get the PTO switch tightened down or replaced. Might be that it is acting as a safety switch and won't close for start circuit to function. A guess, but something to chase down. I'm guessing it stopped in the middle of "mowing". ;)

:welcome: to TBN

/ John Deere D170 PTO not working.
Thanks. I was thinking of replacing it. It does not look as though it could be tightened. The mower is only about 2.5 years old and it seems like every little thing which can break...has. The engine had been having some difficulties but I am over that it seems and has been running perfect. I finally got that straightened out after a summer of breakdowns and (you are correct) the PTO stops functioning in the middle of mowing for what seemed to be no reason at all.

/ John Deere D170 PTO not working. #4  
Hi there I am having a similar problem. The clutch just stops during mowing, If I put the switch back down and lift it again the clutch reengages but it can stop after a few seconds or an hour it's really frustrating. I have disconnected the foot brake switch and shorted out the seat switch and even removed the clutch switch and shorted out 2 terminals to engage the clutch. I thought I had solved it doing that but just as I ended the mowing I was washing the deck and it cut out again. The only switch I cant get at is the switch that is connected to the reverse pedal. I have tugged and wiggled all the wiring to the various switches and the clutch stays engaged (obviously with the engine stopped) but as soon as I go out mowing it will just stop at random intervals. Does anyone know of any other tests or things to check out.
Cheers guys