Considering Z915B

/ Considering Z915B #11  
Thanks for getting back to me. I take delivery this Friday. Got the 915b w 54" deck and isolation seat. Pretty excited to mow now that we have had a little rain. Really looking forward to the time savings and quality of the cut.
PS. Good sunset pic

/ Considering Z915B
Thanks for getting back to me. I take delivery this Friday. Got the 915b w 54" deck and isolation seat. Pretty excited to mow now that we have had a little rain. Really looking forward to the time savings and quality of the cut.
Great to hear! And congratulations! Keep me informed how it turns out for you.

/ Considering Z915B #13  
I ended up with the 915B, almost 3 years now.

I have a question on putting grease in the 3 spindles. Is there a weep hole? I have not found one and without it how do you know when it has enough?

Once I just kept pumping until it came out of the bottom past a seal I presume. (it took about an entire tube of grease) Needles to say that made a mess in the deck once I brought it up to speed while cutting lol

I've been very happy with the unit.

The negatives are tire depressions in the yard. Some places you can't rotate the pattern you cut and it leaves a slight depression. I may use my walk behind in these areas. (around planter beds and the house, fence lines etc.)

/ Considering Z915B #14  
Grease in spindles.. I don't pump them full.. just 2-4 pumps and quit. And there is no weep hole to my knowledge. That would make a mess too.

Blowing out the seals renders them "not a seal" any more. IMO

/ Considering Z915B #15  
Grease in spindles.. I don't pump them full.. just 2-4 pumps and quit. And there is no weep hole to my knowledge. That would make a mess too.

Blowing out the seals renders them "not a seal" any more. IMO

If there sealed bearings, what does the grease do?

/ Considering Z915B #16  
Good question.. I don't know if they are "sealed" bearings.. but I do know there is a zerk fitting that takes grease.. ;)

/ Considering Z915B #17  
Good question.. I don't know if they are "sealed" bearings.. but I do know there is a zerk fitting that takes grease.. ;)

Well the bearings may only be sealed on the outside with the inside open, but that still doesn't help much. How do you get the grease to fight gravity and go up to the top bearing?

/ Considering Z915B #18  
Don't have problems with spindle bearings, so figure over period of many years.. a few pumps is working..

What do you do with the spindles that have zerks ??

/ Considering Z915B #19  
Don't have problems with spindle bearings, so figure over period of many years.. a few pumps is working..

What do you do with the spindles that have zerks ??

It's not clear is this was directed to me or not, but the answer is put some grease in.

I think that the manufactures just put the zerks there to keep the customer from complaining even if they are not necessary.

I have a JC Penny 10HP tractor with a two blade, 36" deck that I bought new in 1979. It does not have grease fitting on the blade spindles.

In 1998, I replaced all four spindle bearings, I had a job shop press out the old bearings and put the new ones in. They are still going good after 21 years.

Richard

/ Considering Z915B #20  
It is generally assumed that the lower bearing hauls more of the load so gravity and grease does their thing and protects the bearing. I believe the uppers in these have the shield removed, but no grease makes it up there unless yours is a top lube. At least I think these have a passage. The spindles also have additional seals in the housing outside the bearings to help keep the unfriendly out.