265 hydro fluid change Q's

/ 265 hydro fluid change Q's #1  

DJRuss

Tractor
JD 265
Hey all. I got all my parts/fluids in to do my first service on the 265. I don't have a manual yet so have a couple questions on the procedure.

-Is this as simple as removing the drain plug, changing the filter, and filling to the correct level on the dipstick? I've read that some other GTs have multiple fill and drain locations.

-Any good rule-of-thumb tips to make it easier or better? I plan to drive it around the yard a little to warm up the fluid before draining. Isn't there some kind of purge method after a fluid change?

Anything else?

Thanks for helping a noob! :thumbsup:

4-6-2016 6-38-53 AM.png

/ 265 hydro fluid change Q's #2  
Two different oils were used. If red; use JD all weather hydrostatic oil or type F ATF. If honey colored use Low Viscosity JD HY-GARD. Takes about 2.6 quarts.
One drain plug.
My manual shows the filter horizontal, not vertical and upside down as your drawing shows. It is that way on my machine too (1989)
Coat filter seal with clean oil. Fill 1/3 to 1/2 full of correct oil. Quickly install. (I am not sure if this applies if you have the "upside down" filter.
Fill with correct fluid. Start check for leaks. Check for correct oil level. Correct if necessary.

/ 265 hydro fluid change Q's
Thanks for the info. The filter is actually shown on a different diagram. Mine is indeed horizontal and on the right side. The first diagram I attached just shows the dipstick and drain plug.

I bought a gallon of the low-vis hy-gard. Do I need to stick with Type F if that's what comes out?

Here's the filter diagram.

4-6-2016 9-33-10 AM.png

/ 265 hydro fluid change Q's #4  
I would not mix oils.

/ 265 hydro fluid change Q's #5  
Since you live in GA, I would consider using regular HY-Guard because of your ambient temps.

image-4192488611.jpg

Well crap. Everything I read up to now said to get the low-vis. Sure enough, right on the back of the bottle it's recommended for only up to 86F which I'll definitely be near or above. I'll order up some regular hy-gard and try to figure out what to do with this low-vis I already got. Thanks for the tip.

I got all the other maintenance caught up this weekend. Oil and filter change, spark plug, fuel filter, air filter, fuel cap, and front wheel caps. :)

I got the regular hy-gard in and decided to use the low-vis to do a "flush". The first dump of the fluid was definitely the red Type F. I filled it with the low-vis, mowed with it yesterday, dumped the fluid and pulled the filter, and installed a new filter and regular hy-gard. Most all of the Type F ought to be out now. I now have mostly regular hy-gard with a little low-vis mixed in.

It sure did feel like a waste of fresh fluid but it would have cost as much to ship it back as the refund. No one in my area can really use it so it was either do what I did or dump it right into the recycle tank. :( Lesson learned!