LX178 Starter Issue

/ LX178 Starter Issue #1  

khodgens

Tractor
LX178
I have a 1992 LX178 and now the starter won't engage. It keeps blowing a 15amp fuse every time I turn on the key. I have a new battery and battery cables. I put in a new fuse, left the ignition off and jumped it at the solenoid and the solenoid just spins. Does this indicate the starter is locked up or is the solenoid possibly bad?

/ LX178 Starter Issue #2  
Starter motor spins but the bendex does not move the pinion gear out into mesh with the ring gear ?
I bought a new starter for the LX188 that was more power than the old startr from ebay cheaper than rebuilding the old starter.

/ LX178 Starter Issue #3  
Sounds like you my have a bad starter solenoid. Replace that first.

If the starter motor spins but the gear does not engage the engine flywheel,then the bendix is either bad or just needs cleaning and some lube.

/ LX178 Starter Issue
I have replaced the starter/solenoid combo and it didn't help. Every time I turn the ignition on it blows a 15 amp fuse. This is getting old.

/ LX178 Starter Issue #5  
I have a 1992 LX178 and now the starter won't engage. It keeps blowing a 15amp fuse every time I turn on the key. I have a new battery and battery cables. I put in a new fuse, left the ignition off and jumped it at the solenoid and the solenoid just spins. Does this indicate the starter is locked up or is the solenoid possibly bad?
Check to make sure the cables are on the correct post!

/ LX178 Starter Issue #6  
A bad starter will not blow a fuse. If you are blowing the fuse when you turn the key to run, then you need to check for shorts in everything that gets power from that key position from the key forward. If it blows the fuse when you turn to start, then check the wiring from the key switch to the starter solenoid, including any wiring going through the safety switches.

You have a short some place and will need to find it. Could be bare wire, bad safety switch, bad voltage regulator, even the head lights if that circuit is powered by the key switch.

/ LX178 Starter Issue #7  
I find a good way to find a short that is blowing a fuse, is to rig a 12v light bulb up so it can be plugged into the fuse holder/socket.
If a short, the light is on.. follow the wires to find the short and make the light go out.
Not the only way, but the light being visible helps vs. trying to read a volt meter.

/ LX178 Starter Issue #8  
I find a good way to find a short that is blowing a fuse, is to rig a 12v light bulb up so it can be plugged into the fuse holder/socket.
If a short, the light is on.. follow the wires to find the short and make the light go out.
Not the only way, but the light being visible helps vs. trying to read a volt meter.

Great idea beenthere!

Richard

/ LX178 Starter Issue

Thanks I'll start on it tomorrow. As of tonight I installed another starter/solenoid along with the new battery cables and it still blows the fuse when I turn on the ignition switch. I definately have a short. I have the electrical schematic and the electrical troubleshooting guide. Should be a fun day.

/ LX178 Starter Issue
OK I keep blowing the top 15amp fuse when I turn the ignition switch on. Looking at the wiring schematic it references 2 fuses F2 and F3 and are both tied to the ignition switch.In regards to the ignition board is the top fuse a F2 or Fs. This will help me narrow down where the short to ground is.