GX 345 PTO belt keeps breaking

/ GX 345 PTO belt keeps breaking #1  

BudMan5

Tractor
Mahindra 28XL HSTJD 915E and JD D140
Had my GX 345 for three years *(second owner) and had zero problems with it until this year. In early June, the PTO clutch was replaced by the dealer as the bearings had been found to have "left the theater". Brought it home and went back to mowing about two acres every fourth or fifth day as rain has been frequent here in SW Missouri and heavy dew every morning. Broke a PTO drive belt a week ago. Dropped the mower deck to examine everything while I waited for UPS to deliver the Amazon ordered belt. Everything seemed to be fine but I have noticed that the deck doesn't not travel far when rising and lowering it, no matter at what cutting height the deck is set at. Belt arrived, got it installed, checked my fluids, added some air to the tires and commenced mowing. The belt broke again within fifteen minutes.

I am guessing that it is being caught by something on the mower deck. Belt is actually broken and does not appear to have been shredded at all.

I haven't a clue. Does anyone have any experience or even guesses of what might be happening?
Thanks in advance!

/ GX 345 PTO belt keeps breaking #3  
Well if your deck isn't moving much may e the belt is too short and the weight od the deck is getting held forward by the belt. Never seen it happen. Make sure they put the right belt on when they did the clutch. Could be just a poor belt from amazon.

/ GX 345 PTO belt keeps breaking #4  
I feel your pain, BudMan5. I have a 1999 JD 345 with 54" deck that I bought new in 1999. The first three years I broke/threaded 24 mower deck belts at about $44.00 ea. I went to my dealer and he sorta half-*** laugh. I told him it wasn't funny when I paid him over $6,000.00 and he didn't tell me I would pay again $6,000.00 for parts. So, I found a person leaving not to far from me that I seen he had a 345 with a 54" deck. Checking his out, my appeared to have a rear pulley assembly abut I-1/4' out of alignment. With this, I took my grinder and ground off the welded assembly and re[fitted it to where it should be. Here it is some 14 years later and I have only bought three mower deck belts in these last years.

Went to the dealer and showed him what I did. He own up to the fact that John Deere made some 3600 54" mower decks that had the rear assembly welded wrong.

So, BudMan5, you better check to see if you have the same problem.