Tuff Torq K66C and JD G100

/ Tuff Torq K66C and JD G100 #1  

BigYoung

Tractor
48Ford 8N, Kubota M4900 w. LA1002 Loader
I bought a nice John Deere G100 with 600 hrs from relative. Tractor did not exhibit any problems. Read about the TuffTorq K46 and 66 issues and removed the G100's K66 to drain original oil and refill with synthetic oil. Installed new John Deere belt (108") and tested out the tractor. At first it moved along fine but after a few periods of use it would not move. I had already compiled a folder of TBN threads and pics on changing worn parts inside the K66 and was dreading splitting the cases as I had no experience.

After removing the deck, and rear wheels and crawling under the tractor to again check out the drive system I noticed the new drive belt was really loose on the drive and idler pulleys but stiil spun the transaxle drive pulley with no output out of the axles. In my TBN research, I found a reference to adjusting the John Deere drive belt to remove slack. There was also a post here that suggested there was a service bulletin regarding loose drive belts. The G100 drive system pulleys are not adjustable. I solved the problem by installing a 107" belt which takes out the slack. My G100 is a racehorse now. The standard JD belt I bought is too long.

Before you guys remove and spilt your K66 to install new parts, try installing the next size down (inch smaller belt). I used belts (105", 107") from Napa for $20 bucks rather than JD belts. Also found lots of 107" Kevlar belts on the net in $25 dollar range.

Long read, but wanted to be clear that this simple fix worked for me.

/ Tuff Torq K66C and JD G100 #2  
Before you guys remove and spilt your K66 to install new parts, try installing the next size down (inch smaller belt). I used belts (105", 107") from Napa for $20 bucks rather than JD belts. Also found lots of 107" Kevlar belts on the net in $25 dollar range.

Long read, but wanted to be clear that this simple fix worked for me.

Well done! :thumbsup: