Blades won't turn on all of the sudden. 1993 John Deere 320 (PTO issue)

/ Blades won't turn on all of the sudden. 1993 John Deere 320 (PTO issue) #1  

nate81

Tractor
1993 John Deere 320
I've already searched the forum and read a few threads, some were never even resolved (or the OP didn't return to share what went wrong) So I'm starting my own with intentions of documenting all results for future reference.

Yesterday my mower blades just stopped turning on when I flip the PTO switch.

Here is what i've done....

I get about 3 ohms when I test the PTO clutch itself....from what the internet says, that means its good.

If I sit on the seat, start the engine and stand up, the mower continues to run. If I sit on the seat engage the PTO and stand up from the seat, the engine shuts off. So I assume the safety switch is functioning properly.

I tried to test the switch with my ohm meter, but there are like 5 prongs/probes/whatever on it and I'm not sure which one is which.....If i sit on the mower, turn the key to the on position, and engage the PTO i distinctively hear the PTO clutch "click" on.

I'm not sure what to do next....I read something about adjusting the airgap or perhaps something mechanical/physical is wrong with the clutch. Please advise :) oh yeah, and, thanks for having me again :D

/ Blades won't turn on all of the sudden. 1993 John Deere 320 (PTO issue) #2  
A little more info would help . The hours on the mower dose the clutch or any part of it move when the motor is running ( Half will rotate at any time the motor is running) ? The clutch is two parts dose only half rotate when it should be running the deck . Does it not work anytime (warm or cold ) .

/ Blades won't turn on all of the sudden. 1993 John Deere 320 (PTO issue)
The mower has about 600 hours on it....yes, 600 hours. I'm not sure if the upper half of the clutch moves, but I assume it does because its connected to the drive belt, correct? The mower will still drive foward/reverse. If I start the engine, and engage the PTO, the lower spindle (one that operates the deck) does not spin....note: I currently have the deck removed and set aside.

edit: I read online that the PTO clutchs usually last about 500-800 hours...I didnt mention my mowers hours because I didnt want a fast response of "Just replace it" ya know what i mean...

the deck stopped working yesterday...it hasnt worked at all since....so i cant really attest to the hot/cold question

/ Blades won't turn on all of the sudden. 1993 John Deere 320 (PTO issue) #4  
If your hearing a click with the key on and operator on the seat, I would think it should engage the clutch. I would check the air gap adjustment. Do you have a service manual to guide through the steps?

/ Blades won't turn on all of the sudden. 1993 John Deere 320 (PTO issue) #5  
The mower has about 600 hours on it....yes, 600 hours. I'm not sure if the upper half of the clutch moves, but I assume it does because its connected to the drive belt, correct?

The drive belt has little to do with the mower working or not all it does is make the tractor move . Most mower tractors have the drive on one end of the motor the clutch that runs the mower on the other end ? I do not know your mower at all . The Clutch may just need adjustment Kind of sounds like it .

/ Blades won't turn on all of the sudden. 1993 John Deere 320 (PTO issue) #6  
Looks like the 320 will have the Warner clutch. And the s/n with a trip to your Deere dealer for more info may be in order. The smaller models apparently have the Ogura clutch.
Schematics of each..

Attachments

• 320_PTOclutch_Ogura.jpg
    320_PTOclutch_Ogura.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 412
  • 320_PTOclutch_Warner.jpg
    320_PTOclutch_Warner.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 594
   / Blades won't turn on all of the sudden. 1993 John Deere 320 (PTO issue) #7  
I don't know about your 320, but I had a similar problem with my 2007 x300 and it turned out that the belt had come off one of the pulleys on the mower deck.

If your hearing a click with the key on and operator on the seat, I would think it should engage the clutch. I would check the air gap adjustment. Do you have a service manual to guide through the steps?

I have the owners manual, but not the service manual. Would this guide work?

The drive belt has little to do with the mower working or not all it does is make the tractor move . Most mower tractors have the drive on one end of the motor the clutch that runs the mower on the other end ? I do not know your mower at all . The Clutch may just need adjustment Kind of sounds like it .

I thought the shaft that comes down from the motor (drive shaft?) has an upper pulley with a belt for driving and a lower pulley that has the PTO. I'm only assuming this.

Looks like the 320 will have the Warner clutch. And the s/n with a trip to your Deere dealer for more info may be in order. The smaller models apparently have the Ogura clutch.
Schematics of each..

Forgive me, but why do i need to take my serial number to the dealer? to find out more about which electric clutch I have?

I don't know about your 320, but I had a similar problem with my 2007 x300 and it turned out that the belt had come off one of the pulleys on the mower deck.

I removed the deck and the deck seems to move freely by hand

When I get home from work today i'll try to do some more research and i'll report back :)

/ Blades won't turn on all of the sudden. 1993 John Deere 320 (PTO issue) #10  
If the procedure you have is for the Warner clutch it should work fine. I have the Ogura clutch and the adjustment procedure is the same. It doesn't matter what machine the clutch is on, the adjustment is specific to that clutch. If adjusting the air gap fixes your issue, try it out under normal running conditions ( engine at operating temp) to see if it holds the clutch engaged, or if you can start and stop the clutch. If it fails again the next step is to disassemble the clutch.