JD 455 Coughing/Throwing up at cold start

/ JD 455 Coughing/Throwing up at cold start #1  

coachgrd

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1870
Hello everyone. I have a JD 455. It's 22 years old but I hope to have it another 22. Just love the tractor. Anyway, within the past month or so, I've had a harder time getting her to start. (Once it does and warms up, no problems restarting.) After the glow plugs go out, I hit the key and it spews out quite a bit of white/gray smoke. I checked and replaced the both the primary and secondary air filters, which seemed like they were due, even overdue for a change. I let it run for about 20 minutes after changing out the filters. The next morning it started a bit better, but still some smoke, though not as much. We are in for our first cold snap this weekend, so I'm going to see how she responds to that.

Would you say the dirty air filters could have been a factor in the hard starting?

Last edited:
   / JD 455 Coughing/Throwing up at cold start #2  
Sorry to hear of the problem.
I'm a bit confused on the time-line in your description.. but I'd think maybe the glow plugs should be looked at.

/ JD 455 Coughing/Throwing up at cold start
Thanks. Been looking online this morning for info on glow plug replacement. Can't seem to find anything specific to the JD455. Is it what you would call a difficult procedure for the DIYer?

/ JD 455 Coughing/Throwing up at cold start #4  
Hi, I have a diesel VW that I've done glow plug work on before. It's really a pretty simple system, especially for a tractor.

Do you have a voltmeter? Here's a real easy test to check each plug. Take the rubber boot off each plug, set the voltmeter to ohms. With one lead touch the metal tip of the plug that's normally connected to the wire. Touch the other end to ground or even the battery neg post. I don't know the JD specs but you should see consistency with very low ohms in the 1-2ohms range on each plug. A completely failed plug will show infinity, as the circuits failed. I've had plugs too where they read several hundred ohms. If you find that and it's outside JD specs I'd replace them too.

There's also the harness which sends voltage to the plugs usually by a relay. With that harness still off, set the meter to voltage. Stick one lead inside each harness connection and the other to ground. Turn the key and you should see voltage from each harness connection on as long as the glow plug light stays on. Once it goes off, voltage will be cut from the harness.

It "sounds" like its just a glow plug system issue, if so it really shouldn't be a big deal. 22 years on the same plugs? I'd say that'd be pretty good!

/ JD 455 Coughing/Throwing up at cold start #5  
A suggestion would be to get a copy of the service tech manual for the 455. Will help you out along with TBN help.
If time permits, I'll look in mine for specific info on the glow plug for the Yanmar engine.

A suggestion would be to get a copy of the service tech manual for the 455. Will help you out along with TBN help.
If time permits, I'll look in mine for specific info on the glow plug for the Yanmar engine.

Thank you sir.

/ JD 455 Coughing/Throwing up at cold start #7  
Some extractions from the service tech manual (and you say 20 yr old, so assume s/n is under 70000 which is the break point for possible changes in the manual).

Attachments

• 455_glow_plug_theory.JPG
    455_glow_plug_theory.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 455_glow_plug_diagn.JPG
    455_glow_plug_diagn.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 455_glow_plug_diagram.JPG
    455_glow_plug_diagram.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 343
  • 455_glow_plug_test_pts.JPG
    455_glow_plug_test_pts.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 425
beenthere...Thanks for guidance. I'm probably the worst kind of DIYer: get into a job I have no business tackling. My mechanical ability/reasoning/common sense went to a brother. Anyway, can tell me what size socket the 455 glow plug will require?

I must puff out my chest a little here though...last spring I replaced the fuel solenoid and starter on my girl. After firing her up and hearing that purr, I walked around with a special hop in my step for a couple days. :)

/ JD 455 Coughing/Throwing up at cold start #9  
Glow plugs.

New set on ebay.

/ JD 455 Coughing/Throwing up at cold start #10  
I would usually recommend trouble shooting a problem to know WHY I need to change a part. But with that said it might be easier for you to simply change out the glow plugs and see if that cures your problem. Faster and more direct approach and less confusing to do.