JD 285 Lawn Tractor with 36" snowblower quits after 30 min snowblowing

/ JD 285 Lawn Tractor with 36" snowblower quits after 30 min snowblowing #1  

indenial

Tractor
Bobcat 185
Hi guys, I have a JD 285 that I put a 36" snowblower on for winter. Probably 25 yrs old and has been flawless. Last year, while blowing snow, it would bog down after about 30-40 min of blowing snow. Doesn't make a difference if it is 1" snow or 5" snow. We replaced the stator, fuel filter, plugs, battery. Charging system works fine, and probably wasn't the problem. This winter, same thing. I don't use it in the summer for mowing anymore, just for blowing. Keep it in heated garage, Starts fine, after 30 min. it bogs to where I can choke it to keep it running a little. I can barely make it back to the garage. Next day it starts and blows fine----for 30 min. Last night I let it sit in driveway at -2 degrees and it ran for 45 minutes with no problems with auger engaged.

I woke at 4:30 am today with an idea. Is it possible that snow is covering the gas cap and somehow preventing air getting in and causing a vacuum? Where is the air intake for the fuel tank? I also thought that maybe snow is getting into the carb through the open grill, but this seems a little out there. But after 30 min of blowing, the thing is covered with snow, so this makes some kind of sense. Any help?

/ JD 285 Lawn Tractor with 36" snowblower quits after 30 min snowblowing #2  
If you described that problem on a boat, I'd say your tank vent is blocked somehow. Next time this happens, open the gas cap and if there is an inrush of air into the tank, then you have your answer, and you'll need to investigate the tank venting system.

On newer JD lawn/garden tractors, the tank vent is built into the cap. On a 25 year old machine, there may be a separate venting tube with a filter/screen.

/ JD 285 Lawn Tractor with 36" snowblower quits after 30 min snowblowing #3  
your thinking about the carb getting iced up could be right,
in today's world they sell winter covers for the hoods to reduce the injection
of snow into the hood and into the engine to prevent this.
in years past there have been different options, from different flywheel screens to these
hood covers.
normally with liquid cooled engines it isn't an issue, but, who knows,
if you are getting a lot of snow covering the tractor (and probably yourself!)
you may be getting enough under the hood that it's getting thru to the carb...

/ JD 285 Lawn Tractor with 36" snowblower quits after 30 min snowblowing #4  
I have a JD 285 It only mows, so I do not how it would work in the cold.

The gas tank fill neck has groove cut in the threads. Easy to see with the cap off. This is what vents the tank.

I believe you have an icing problem, not tank vent problem.

/ JD 285 Lawn Tractor with 36" snowblower quits after 30 min snowblowing #5  
I had the very same problem. The gas cap vent was plugged.

/ JD 285 Lawn Tractor with 36" snowblower quits after 30 min snowblowing #6  
I have a JD 285 It only mows, so I do not how it would work in the cold.

The gas tank fill neck has groove cut in the threads. Easy to see with the cap off. This is what vents the tank.

I believe you have an icing problem, not tank vent problem.

I agree with Zebra. Sounds like carb icing. Not unknown on engines. I just checked on the JD parts site to see if they had a snow thrower kit that would include something to keep the carb warm. Could not find anything.

I used my old Penny tractor that I put a thrower on. Just like you said, it ran like crap when out in the cold. Looked at the carb and it was a ball of ice. I put an old ceiling panel over the carb to catch some of the heat coming off of the engine and also blocked off the openings in the bottom of the frame by the engine to keep heat in.

Richard

/ JD 285 Lawn Tractor with 36" snowblower quits after 30 min snowblowing #7  
My x530 was doing the same thing, I thought it was the cap vent, but it ended up being a crappy fuel filter

/ JD 285 Lawn Tractor with 36" snowblower quits after 30 min snowblowing #8  
indenial,

It's been two weeks now, have you solved your issue with loss of power ?

If you have solved this issue, let the rest of us know.

Richard

/ JD 285 Lawn Tractor with 36" snowblower quits after 30 min snowblowing #9  
Fuel issue would be the first thing i'd check.
tank vent , fuel filter, Fuel line, water in the fuel bowl
adding stabilizer or dry gas additive may be helpful,

if you dont find a fuel system issue, look to the ignition side.
bad plug, faulty wire, bad ignition module

I had a bad ignition lead and dirty ignition module connector on my 285 that was exhibiting a random misfire.

PM me if you still have issues, I have the factor service manual and can assist.

/ JD 285 Lawn Tractor with 36" snowblower quits after 30 min snowblowing #10  
JD have some issues regarding the snow blower functionality, maybe it is the power or hydrolics...

Not sure I follow that.. could you tell more about the issues for us?