Determining year

/ Determining year #1  

coachgrd

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1870
I have a JD 455 that I'm looking to trade in. I know it is a 1995, but because the serial number plate on the frame went missing, the dealer had to assume it was as old as the earliest production. Is there another way to determine the year, other than the frame serial number plate?

Thanks.
gd

/ Determining year #2  
If there is, the dealer would know. I don't know of a s/n location other than the tag/plate which is all too easily power-washed off.
There is also a s/n for the Yanmar diesel, and seems the dealer could help you with that year as well.
Sounds like your dealer is not being as helpful as possible. But just an opinion. If it runs well, seems that a few years give or take around 1955 would not make much difference in value.
Sales receipt should show s/n as well, and I always write it in the operators manual that stays with the machine.

/ Determining year #3  
What matters is the amount the dealer is willing to give you, or allow you on trade.
Most dealers actually downplay the year thing, especially when selling.
Hours and condition should and usually dictates the value.
You might want to get another quote from another dealer, or look at selling it privately, if you feel the trade in value he is quoting you is to low.
I used to own one of those tractors. Generally, those are great little tractors, and they usually sell very quik.

/ Determining year #5  
There is a production sticker on the radiator that gives the date of manufacture. That gives a rough idea of when the tractor was made.

Chris