Is every Deere dealer inflexible on lawn & garden?

/ Is every Deere dealer inflexible on lawn & garden? #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I narrowed a riding mower/lawn tractor down to Deere and Husqvarna. Husqvarna has made good strides with their latest model for 2017. A Deere x380 is probably better, but Husky is catching up fast.

Husqvarna dealers want to deal, offer services, fuel, delivery, discounts on implements and attachments, or whatever. My experience with Deere dealers is straight MSRP, no deals, no incentives, no delivery, etc. The posture I observed is pay full MSRP, come get it, and goodbye.

I realize Deere has a good reputation and they want to protect their brand. And have dealers make big profits. But isn't zero flexibility somewhat antiquated in today's modern world?

Has Deere locked their dealers down this tightly? One dealer did offer a slight concession. But I probably shouldn't describe it as I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

/ Is every Deere dealer inflexible on lawn & garden? #2  
Personally know several Deere sales people, and as one said once "My family has to eat too". Thinking it is mostly up to the salesman on how much room they have to dicker on price, but that "room" comes from their pocket. Unless corporate has some deals, or the dealership wants to move some items, then the salesman works from MSRP.

Your previous activity buying from the dealership or a particular salesman will enter into the amount of pencil sharpening they do for you. I find that loyalty with parts, service, and purchase will go a long way to coming up with a good price.
So you also have to sell yourself to the salesman, like it or not.

/ Is every Deere dealer inflexible on lawn & garden? #3  
In my experience it all depends on the Dealership... and that's with any colour tractor.

My JD Dealership (and, yes, I'm happy to say "my") sold me the tractor(s) that I needed plus the implements at a fair price. They added a free first service at my property (which is a two hour - one way trip for them) into the deal.

Both of my tractors were delivered free of charge and fully fuelled. The same with all of the implements I've bought from them.

beenthere may have a point regarding 'selling yourself' to the salesman... I brought a 'local tractor owner' with me when I went to negotiate, all he did was sit, nod and drink coffee. But he did know* the salesman.

[Note: * Tasmania is a very small population State... I swear everybody knows everybody else. I've only lived here for 4 years and I'm beginning to run into folks, that I know, in unusual places.]

/ Is every Deere dealer inflexible on lawn & garden? #4  
Some of you may be overestimating the dealer profit in lawn and garden equipment. The days of 20% mark up are gone. Try closer to 4-6% in a lot of cases. And if it has set on the floor more than 90 days, the dealer is making payments with interest to the finance company. I have a chainsaw that I sell for $199. My profit doesn't even allow me to give you a 6 pack of mix oil, because the cost of the oil is more than my profit margin.

/ Is every Deere dealer inflexible on lawn & garden? #5  
For what it is worth, I received a discount from my JD salesman on the purchase of my 2016 X584. I do have prior purchase history with this dealership and salesman.

Like everything else, I suspect that deals depend on many factors including local competition, business conditions, factory incentives, time of year, business relationships, ... etc.

Best of luck with your shopping!

/ Is every Deere dealer inflexible on lawn & garden? #6  
I shopped at several dealers last spring to find and buy my x758. Some were better than others at discounts. But I don't believe any one of them quoted me MSRP. As with any large item purchase, lots of factors are involved, as mentioned above. Time of year (sales cycle, up/down time), inventory on hand, how much they want your trade, etc. All you can do it check around with several and get a feel, then decide which fits you best.

On thing I've noticed in my many years of buying though is that most times I've purchased a big item (car, truck, snowmobile, motorcycle, tractor, etc.) dealers are not willing at all to throw in any type of extra like clothing, accessory, etc. They will deal on the price of the item and your trade value but no 'extras'. I haven't figured out why that is. One time when I was young I bought a limited availability car at basically full MSRP (yeah, I was young and 'needed' it, but it lasted 16 years and a quarter million trouble-free miles so I'm ok with it) and the dealer wouldn't even throw in any swag with it. Finally got them to pony up something and it was a promotional t-shirt worth about $5 that they probably gave out at the auto show for free anyway.

Rob

/ Is every Deere dealer inflexible on lawn & garden? #7  
I am lucky if they throw in a cap that fits. The only time it seems where I didn't get totally shafted was when I had a JD595 for a trade in and they wanted one like that because they were selling a lot of that model at that time, he said.

Buying just plain outright seems to be the new norm in may places. Wait for a spring promotional of some sort and hope for the best. I used to be able to go into a furniture store, appliance store, hardware store, lumberyard or any other store and people would dicker for a better price and they would cave in a certain amount. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Now it is, here is a fair price, take it or leave it.

/ Is every Deere dealer inflexible on lawn & garden? #8  
Much of the overhead and dealer costs are the same on a 16HP lawn tractor or a 200HP field tractor.The 10% markup on a lawn tractor is rather thin vs 5-10% markup on the 200HP tractor.

/ Is every Deere dealer inflexible on lawn & garden?
I have a purchasing relationship with one of the dealers. They gave a small discount on a Honda powered piece of equipment recently. Probably about 5%.

They won't budge on a Deere. Last month Deere had $500 off as a factory promo. This month and next, nothing. So about sixteen days ago, they could have profitably sold me a unit for $500 less, but now its "their way" or the "highway." Why did the numbers scramble in just sixteen days?

I've spent a great deal of money on tractors and outdoor equipment in the last 18 months. This unit is one of the cheapest things I have looked at-- less than $5k. If they gave me 5% off that's only $250. If they would have even thrown in a gallon or two of pre-mix I think that would have sealed the deal. I just have a hard time being told to take it or leave it. Pay more for no good reason other than you are sixteen days late. Not a huge deal, but their $500 incentive last month, which is no longer possible, just might instead incent me to buy "anything-but-Deere." I'm seeing why so many people comment that Deere is very proud of their brand.

/ Is every Deere dealer inflexible on lawn & garden? #10  
I have a purchasing relationship with one of the dealers. They gave a small discount on a Honda powered piece of equipment recently. Probably about 5%.

They won't budge on a Deere. Last month Deere had $500 off as a factory promo. This month and next, nothing. So about sixteen days ago, they could have profitably sold me a unit for $500 less, but now its "their way" or the "highway." Why did the numbers scramble in just sixteen days?

I've spent a great deal of money on tractors and outdoor equipment in the last 18 months. This unit is one of the cheapest things I have looked at-- less than $5k. If they gave me 5% off that's only $250. If they would have even thrown in a gallon or two of pre-mix I think that would have sealed the deal. I just have a hard time being told to take it or leave it. Pay more for no good reason other than you are sixteen days late. Not a huge deal, but their $500 incentive last month, which is no longer possible, just might instead incent me to buy "anything-but-Deere." I'm seeing why so many people comment that Deere is very proud of their brand.

The "take it or leave it" attitude is something I just cannot stomach!
In today's internet world it just does not make much sense either.
Given "take it or leave it": Color me .... GONE!
Chances are, with a bit of patience, "leaving it" will produce a better deal elsewhere, Deere or not!