1026R Steering quit

/ 1026R Steering quit #1  

kroog

Tractor
john deere
I was using my 1026R today and the steering quit. The steering wheel spins, but the tires don't turn. I still have hydraulic functions to the loader, 3pt and mower.
It only has 135 hours.
The steering worked fine when when the steering wheel was all the way forward, but when I adjusted it back, the steering quit and now will not engage even with the steering wheel back all the way forward.
Can someone give me some guidance on what to look at/for?

/ 1026R Steering quit #2  
I would suspect something came loose in a connection, and you'll need to track where any movement of the steering wheel stops before it gets to the front wheels.
Or dealer time.
:welcome: to TBN

/ 1026R Steering quit #3  
Yikes! That sounds like a real safety issue that John Deere might want to know about. Contact your dealer ASAP!

/ 1026R Steering quit
Yikes! That sounds like a real safety issue that John Deere might want to know about. Contact your dealer ASAP!

The steering worked fine when when the steering wheel was all the way forward, but when I adjusted it back, the steering quit and now will not engage even with the steering wheel back all the way forward.
Can someone give me some guidance on what to look at/for?

/ 1026R Steering quit #5  
From your description, I'd say the knuckle or joint that allows tilt steering possibly came apart or got disconnected. Can you look at the steering shaft?

/ 1026R Steering quit
From your description, I'd say the knuckle or joint that allows tilt steering possibly came apart or got disconnected. Can you look at the steering shaft?

I double checked the steering shafts from the steering wheel to the valve. They both turn left and right. When you turn the wheel either direction, you can hear the steering valve "clicking".
The front wheels turn to the right with no weight on them. They try to turn right when I turn the wheel left. I can get them semi-straight if I back up and turn the wheel left. I can't get them to return to center, nor turn left past center. I plan to remove both steering cylinder lines today and turn the valve to see if I have oil to both sides. I will also move the steering cylinder full left to see if I may have internal bypass in the cylinder, or if its a problem with the valve.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

/ 1026R Steering quit
I double checked the steering shafts from the steering wheel to the valve. They both turn left and right. When you turn the wheel either direction, you can hear the steering valve "clicking".
The front wheels turn to the right with no weight on them. They try to turn right when I turn the wheel left. I can get them semi-straight if I back up and turn the wheel left. I can't get them to return to center, nor turn left past center. I plan to remove both steering cylinder lines today and turn the valve to see if I have oil to both sides. I will also move the steering cylinder full left to see if I may have internal bypass in the cylinder, or if its a problem with the valve.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I removed the turn left hose from the cylinder (head end) and turned the steering wheel-good oil flow out of the hose.
I straightened the tires to center and spun the steering wheel to the right-oil poured out of the head end (left turn) fitting and the cylinder rod did not move.
Makes me think the cylinder is bypassing internally.
Any thoughts?

/ 1026R Steering quit
I removed the turn left hose from the cylinder (head end) and turned the steering wheel-good oil flow out of the hose.
I straightened the tires to center and spun the steering wheel to the right-oil poured out of the head end (left turn) fitting and the cylinder rod did not move.
Makes me think the cylinder is bypassing internally.
Any thoughts?

I removed both hoses and turned the wheels left and right to remove the oil from the cylinder.
I applied shop air to the base end and the cylinder extended-right turn ok.
I applied air to the head end-left turn and it just blew out the base end fitting without moving the cylinder rod.
The steering cylinder has an internal bypass.
Now I need to know if I can reseal it or if it has to be replaced.
Any suggestions?

/ 1026R Steering quit #9  
I'd call the dealer. They need to know about this. My 1025R was very buggy. I even accidently turned off the fuel once on it because the toe of my shoe hit the fuel shutoff switch.

Finally traded for a 2025R with no issues whatever before the warranty was off on the 1025R.

/ 1026R Steering quit
I'd call the dealer. They need to know about this. My 1025R was very buggy. I even accidently turned off the fuel once on it because the toe of my shoe hit the fuel shutoff switch.

Finally traded for a 2025R with no issues whatever before the warranty was off on the 1025R.

I know the 1025Rs have a myriad of problems.
I avoided buying one because of the Tier IV final with the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).
I compared the engine of the 1026R to the 1025R and you'd be amazed how much more stuff is under the hood.
I'm all about simple.
I know the local Deere dealership and doubt they would offer any assistance or Goodwill due to the tractor is now 5 years old.
I will call and let them know to see what they suggest.
My guess is they will offer me a replacement at list price + shipping.
Just my two cents.
I have a Deere 455 AWS and a Deere 318D skid steer. They have both been VERY reliable, but not trouble-free.
Any time you have something mechanical, things can go wrong.