LED aftermarket lights on lawn tractor

/ LED aftermarket lights on lawn tractor #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
In Fall, I get enormous covering of leaves on the lawn I measure in feet, not inches. With days being short, we always seem to be raking right up until dark. I'm looking at a new riding mower/lawn tractor and cyclone rake to make this an easier process.

Has anyone added a LED light bar to a riding mower or lawn tractor, and will the battery/electronics on these small units handle an addition like that? An add-on like this might make the difference of being able to continue working after darkness begins to set in?

/ LED aftermarket lights on lawn tractor #2  
I would guess you would need an independent line, fuse and switch running off the battery to power a light bar. On the JD X700 gas series an auxiliary alternator is available for heavy electrical loads if the standard 20 amp one isn't enough. Auxiliary alternator kit, 2 amp (less grease)

/ LED aftermarket lights on lawn tractor #3  
Or, you could unplug the harness from the existing lights, and extend the leads to your new light bar.
Generally, depending on the type and qty of new led lights you buy, the power required will probably be less than what your existing front lights use. Very quik and easy mod, once your new light bar has been installed, since you already have the fused power, and the switch installed.
Just make sure you add the correct connectors to the led light end, that will mate up with the harness connectors you removed from the existing lights.

/ LED aftermarket lights on lawn tractor #4  
Or, you could unplug the harness from the existing lights, and extend the leads to your new light bar.
Generally, depending on the type and qty of new led lights you buy, the power required will probably be less than what your existing front lights use. Very quik and easy mod, once your new light bar has been installed, since you already have the fused power, and the switch installed.
Just make sure you add the correct connectors to the led light end, that will mate up with the harness connectors you removed from the existing lights.

This poster is correct- easy mod, LED's draw very little power. In addition JD sells a halogen upgrade for headlights. I know several people that have replaced light bulbs with more powerful LED options for more light at night – although I don’t believe the LED option throws off as much light as the halogens do

Last edited:
   / LED aftermarket lights on lawn tractor #5  
Lights should be no problem as noted above. The CR is a good choice but keep in mind that if your leaves really get that deep you will have to keep after them. When the leaves get so deep they are higher than the mower deck, you start pushing leaves instead of mowing them. This will be true with any kind of leaf collector and gets very frustrating. Just have to make some passes over the yard anytime the leaves are noticeable.

/ LED aftermarket lights on lawn tractor #6  
If your bulbs are the plug and twist type you can buy LED bulbs I did that for my LA115 and they seem to work ok.

/ LED aftermarket lights on lawn tractor #7  
If you want to keep the amps to a minimum to use existing circuits, you can use several of the smaller LEDs like these:
Amazon.com: Nilight Led Light Bar 2PCS 18w 4" Flood Driving Fog Light Off Road Lights Boat Lights driving lights Led Work Light SUV Jeep Lamp,2 years Warranty: Automotive
I have 2 facing forward on my tractor, and one to the rear, and they provide a LOT of light. They can be added to circuits or used in place of existing lights, and you can even add a few extra to cover more area around the mower.

/ LED aftermarket lights on lawn tractor #8  
plowhog,
What is the alternator rating on your new tractor? My x749 has a 40 amp alternator and two 35w halogen up front. Visibility is pretty good at night with these lamps but a few more led lights would be a nice addition.

/ LED aftermarket lights on lawn tractor
Ford-- those lights look interesting. 54 watts running two in front and one rear. At that price how can you lose?

Jenkins-- The alternator is 15amps. I think the three lights would be 4.5 amps at 12v, so that should work.

/ LED aftermarket lights on lawn tractor #10  
I got a Cyclone Rake after my sons left for college. I love it, but you definitely have to keep after it - I do mine about 5 or 6 times to get all the leaves. DON'T let them get to deep as was mentioned above - it will frustrate you (don't ask how I know :banghead:)