Thinking of adding a X500 to the garage

/ Thinking of adding a X500 to the garage #1  

crazyal

Tractor
Kubota, Case, Deere
As I said I'm thnking about picking up an X500. I've found a couple not too far away with less than 100 hours that look like new. Right now I'm using a Lowes MTD special (Troy Built Super something) but it's just not up to the task. My yard is hilly, in some places too steep to mow. The MTD is one of these variable speed machines that use belts kind of like a snow machine. That part works well. But they put the one brake rotor on the wrong side of the rear differential. When you brake and one wheel starts to slip it spins backwards while the other turns forwards resulting in no brakes. It's also got a light weight stamped steel frame. It'll make a fine mower for someone with a small flat yard, just not right for me.

So after looking around some I settled on the X500. There's plenty of them used around so I can save a couple grand off of MSRP. I think the power flow attachment for the deck looks like it might work well. But more than anything the rear diff lock is kind of a must for me. It'll never have a loader, in fact it's doubtful I'll use it for anything but mowing. That being said a coworker sold a Deere tiller last year for $200 that was like new (if I knew then that I would be getting one now I would have grabbed it).

What I would like to know is opinions from some of you owners. How stable is it? More going up hills than side to side but over all what do you think. On my old super I had to disable the seat safety switch because it wouldn't take much leaning and it would shut the engine off. In fact I had to disable the switch that would prevent you from mowing in reverse. If I buy soon I'm not going to have a chance to mow with it before picking it up since we are more than a month away from actually having grass in New England so I'm only going to start it up, move it back and forth, and turn the mower on to listen for any odd noises. But since the three I'm looking at look like they are/ were owned by people who were very good with maintaining their equipment (no sun fade, not a spec of rust anywhere, mower deck looks like brand new, etc.) and with the hours well under 100 I don't expect to find anything wrong. I've read a few people saying they are happy with how it mows but if anyone wants to chime in on their impressions please do so.

/ Thinking of adding a X500 to the garage #2  
I purchased an X540 last summer with the MC 513 grass catcher cart. I used the MC 513 once and removed it since it added so much weight to right side of the mower deck you had to run the gauge wheels on the grass and they gouge every time you turn.

I find the seat switch semi sensitive but to point I had to disable it in order to drive. NOTE: Only slope I have is the road ditch.

Cut with 54" deck has improved by instilling hi-lift blades. Other wise in heavy grass it would not lift the grass pushed down by the front wheels. We also had a very wet summer last year so trying to mow when the grass was dry was a challenge.

Reverse switch is easy to operate for backing while the mower is running.

I would rate these as stable as any mower of equal size.

/ Thinking of adding a X500 to the garage #3  
Try to get one with the HDAP tires- in a hilly environment, much better traction than turf tires. Tread isnt so aggressive it chews up lawn when making tight turns

/ Thinking of adding a X500 to the garage #4  
Had an X500 for just shy of 3 years, 60 some hrs, used to mow exclusively. Have a 2 acre or so lawn with significant slopes, not many flats. Here are some strengths and areas for improvement on this specific unit.

- 24hp air cooled has enough torque to mow and power the unit without bogging. No issues so far with the power train. Had an X300 for two weeks and it would slow significantly when turning up certain slopes; 500 had no issues in these same areas.
- Gets up and down the hills (7-10 degrees) fine. Differential lock is useful for sharp turns up damp grass, a-la mowing around a big tree root on a side hill. Not used often, but handy when needed.
- No powered steering on mine, not missed. (For comparison, I have a compact tractors with PS that I've mowed the same area with)
- Quality of the grass cut------I expected a better cut than what I get. Tweeked, measured, leveled, lubed, inflated, balanced, sharpened and altered ground speed but still a noticeable amount of grass cut at different heights. Quality decreases significantly as cut height increases. Grass looks better/more uniform when cut at 2in vs 2.5in. Dealer thinks it's a function of insufficient suction/lift. Cut isn't bad, but not what I expected.
- Far edge of the grass chute side of my deck will cut a tad lower when doing a downhill turn----probably some law of physics at work here, and also probably not unique to this unit.
- Your experience with seat interlock may be the same with the X500. I am not a fan of having equipment shut off on hills/slopes.
- Center spindle grease fitting difficult to get at with deck attached
- I like having a brake pedal on the left side; the deck lift is there on my unit, brake is on the right. Can't feather the hydro pedals and use the brake at the same time; some places on a slope where you'd like to do this.

Good luck.

/ Thinking of adding a X500 to the garage #5  
For some reason. I’ve heard quite a few people complain about the quality of the cut with the 54 inch deck, and others swear they get a great cut, I don’t know might have something to do with what type of grass you are cutting. Al3- have you tried different blades? If quality gets better with lower cut height, certainly sounds like a lift problem, perhaps try a high lift blade

/ Thinking of adding a X500 to the garage #6  
Smoothas: Lawn is mostly bluegrass, some fescue, too many weeds…… Cut when grass is about 1 to 1 2/2 inches higher than target height. Always willing to try a proven blade design, anyone with actual experience with any on a 54 Deere Edge deck?

/ Thinking of adding a X500 to the garage #7  
Try the Gator blades, ( I'd recommended G5)they are more durable than JD blades, longer cutting edge and better lift

here is a link describing differences

Gator Blades for John Deere

/ Thinking of adding a X500 to the garage
Thanks for the input. My lawn is never going to win awards. The Super Bronco I have now often takes a second pass to get it cut evenly in the more dense grass. At times it looks like there's a blade missing. If the x500 doesn't require a second pass I'll be happy. Most likely I'll end up with the 48" deck since that's what seams to be on the market used around here. I did read about someone who wasn't too happy with the cut until he added a striping kit. I haven't looked into if there are others who would recommend it.

The same goes for the rear tires. Had I did this in the latter half of summer last year I might have gotten a dealer to swap them over trying to avoid having one more machine sitting on his lot for winter.

My needs are good brakes, a diff lock, and a stiff frame. I assume that there is just one brake rotor inside the T72 so it could do the same thing as what I have now. But with the diff lock I should be able to make sure both rear wheels are braking. This really comes down to safety. Maybe what I have now is just really bad and it's not an issue with a heavier nicer mower but I'm trying to think it through so I don't have to look to replace the x500 after using it and finding the weaknesses I'm trying to overcome are still there.

/ Thinking of adding a X500 to the garage
Last week I picked up an X500 with 46 hours. It's a 2015 but was sold last year so it still has a warranty for another 3 years. Today I had a chance to drive it on one of the moderately steep hills. The old rider was an adventure. I would push as hard as I could on the brakes and it would slow me down. The X500 easily stopped even though the grass was slightly soggy, it's like having power brakes. It's also much quieter than the old rider so I'm thinking I may not need to wear hearing protection. I don't think the picture shows the hill behind it very well but the bottom of the stairs are about 2o feet higher than where the X500 is parked with the left side much steeper than the right.

x500_zpsdti8kc7n.jpg

/ Thinking of adding a X500 to the garage #10  
Last week I picked up an X500 with 46 hours. It's a 2015 but was sold last year so it still has a warranty for another 3 years. Today I had a chance to drive it on one of the moderately steep hills. The old rider was an adventure. I would push as hard as I could on the brakes and it would slow me down. The X500 easily stopped even though the grass was slightly soggy, it's like having power brakes. It's also much quieter than the old rider so I'm thinking I may not need to wear hearing protection. I don't think the picture shows the hill behind it very well but the bottom of the stairs are about 2o feet higher than where the X500 is parked with the left side much steeper than the right.

View attachment 505191

Congrats on new tractor--- 46 hours that thing isnt even broken in yet- the X500 will handle your hills no problems