John Deere 332 Transmission Filter

/ John Deere 332 Transmission Filter #1  

JeffandTamara

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35, Case 1190
Need some help. I have a 332 Diesel that hasn't been run in over 10 years. I would like to change the Transmission Filter and fluid on it. I have a shop manual but it doesn't help with routine maintenance. I finally found the Filter, but looks like I have to pull the deck and take off a sheet metal cover 8 screws. There appears to be a big pipe going through the sheet metal cover, and I can't tell how the sheet metal cover would come off from around this Pipe going through the back of the cover. I bought the filter and thought this would be a easy straight forward maintenance activity, but seems like it might be a bigger job and more tedious than I thought. Any shortcuts or advice to do this maintenance?

/ John Deere 332 Transmission Filter #2  
You are correct, it is a straight forward maintenance activity.
1. Remove mower deck, it's probably time to sharpen the blades anyway.
2. Remove belly screen.
3. Drain hydro fluid, plug towards back of tractor. Replace plug.
4. Replace filter and fill with new hydro fluid.
Fluid level should be in the middle of the sight glass at back of tractor.
Use the correct fluid for your ambient temps.

image-1007304476.jpg

/ John Deere 332 Transmission Filter #3  
Jeff
Being as you may be in for some additional maintenance and tweaking of the 332, go to the Deere dealer or go online and get the service technical manual.. I think it will be well worth your while and investment.
Also, all parts breakdown and schematics can be found on jdparts by putting in the model number...
John Deere - Parts Catalog

/ John Deere 332 Transmission Filter
You are correct, it is a straight forward maintenance activity.
1. Remove mower deck, it's probably time to sharpen the blades anyway.
2. Remove belly screen.
3. Drain hydro fluid, plug towards back of tractor. Replace plug.
4. Replace filter and fill with new hydro fluid.
Fluid level should be in the middle of the sight glass at back of tractor.
Use the correct fluid for your ambient temps.

It looks like the "Belly Screen" has 4 screws per side holding it, but there is a hose or pipe in the very back. Does that hose or pipe have to come out to get the belly screen off? If so how does it come off. Was really disappointed that it takes so much work to get to the Filter:confused::confused::confused:

/ John Deere 332 Transmission Filter #5  
The belly screen has a cut-out where the suction hose goes through. 8 screws and the screen comes comes right off. It's easily bent so be careful.
The largest funnel that will fit and patience when filling. 13pts. moves very slowly through the fill hose to the tranny.

/ John Deere 332 Transmission Filter
Thanks very much for the insight. I think maybe the first thing is to get the power washer out and wash the underside where I can better see things. Like I posted to begin, the tractor hasn't been ran for more than 10 Years. Actually my dad passed in 2005, and it was mostly setting then. I changed oil in it in 2010, according to my sticker, but as I remember, I ran it just enough to warm up the motor oil. Since we got a zero turn for the farm, It wasn't used at all for grass cutting. My reason to get it going again was to pull a Roller to squash some mole hills instead of hitting them with the mower... Those are going to be some expensive mole hills...:) Battery, antifreeze, fuel filter, Fuel stabilizer, oil and filter, transmission oil and filter... Probably will need a couple of front tubes as both front tires are pretty shot and weather cracked... every where you turn $ and work... Just guess I don't have enough to do...

/ John Deere 332 Transmission Filter #7  
Come on Jeff, it's easy. Just like in some of the Chilton motor manuals. To change oil, remove drain plug, to fill, reverse procedure.

:confused2: