Pull behind land plane

/ Pull behind land plane #1  

presnewt

Silver Member
Tractor
Steiner 440
Has anyone here used the John Deere pull behind land plane for compact tractors with the actuator. I think it is Model LP10 and comes in 48 and 60 inch widths. I need something to grade gravel driveway and do not have anything able to use 3 pt hitch attachments.

/ Pull behind land plane #3  
Does your driveway get packed down hard? If so the LP10 seams like it could be kind of light. I think the rule of thumb most people say is 100lbs per foot as a minimum but my 6' LP is closer to 125 lbs a foot and if the cars have packed own the driveway and the sun has baked it I wish I had more weight. If you wait until you had a few days of rain to soften things up you could be OK.

/ Pull behind land plane
The LP1060, which is the pull behind weighs about 415 lbs. and the LP1160, which is used with a three point hitch is about 490 lbs., I would rather use the three pt hitch option but my particular tractor is not as well suited as traditional tractors for pulling with the three pt hitch. If look at pictures of both the LP1060 looks much lighter. I don't know how much difference 75 lbs. will make. What do y'all think?

/ Pull behind land plane #5  
Really depends on what is there that you want to plane.. what is the gravel like? breaker rock at or near the surface?

/ Pull behind land plane #6  
my initial re-action is.... backing up would be a nightmare for a trailer /pull behind type.

there are plenty of ATV / UTV trailer / pull behind planes out there.

when looking at just the rear gauge wheels for pull behind. there is no "front adjustment" it looks like. so you are SOL if the front of the plane does not enguage the ground like you want it to. with 3pt hitch it can be adjusted, and there be a variety of "lifts" for ATV / UTV vehicles to also lift implements so you can adjust both front and rear of implements.

some folks have added weight across tops of rear blades, box blades, and land planes / grader scrapers. from concrete bricks, lumber, logs, chunks of metal, pretty much what ever they have.

you may need a box blade with sacrificer teeth / rippers pending on how compact stuff is. to even get stuff to fluff up some to even think about grading / smoothing driveway.

=========
add some pictures of driveway / what you are wanting to do.
give make/model of tractor / unit you are wanting to use.
how long is the driveway?

/ Pull behind land plane
I am using a Steiner 440, 25 hp 4wd tractor. Steiners and Ventracs are made low to the ground mainly to be used as a slope mower. The are great machines but are not made to do the same things a more traditional tractor does. I would just be using the land plane on my gravel drive which is a couple hundred yards long. Me friends on the ventrac and steiner forums have said that the three point hitch option is poor because it just does not lift high enough to be really useful. Thanks

/ Pull behind land plane #8  
specs...
TractorData.com Steiner 44 tractor information

there be a chance you may need to add "front weight" to unit. to help maintain traction.
if need be also fill rear tires with a fluid. to help gain some additional traction.

both traction notations above. would apply to 3pt hitch and/or pull / trailer type.

get 3pt and getter done.

=========
i did not see much of photos for rear end of your unit. the glimpse on company website was ugly and hard to see 3pt hitch (all folded up and tucked away)

i would say 3pt hitch. even if it does not lift up a lot. you still be able to lift it up. and adjust front to back angle on it via top link of 3pt hitch. and be able to lift it up from driver seat.

if it does not lift up a lot you just make a couple extra runs and back and forth to get it how you want the drive.