John Deere 727A PTO Clutch Removal

/ John Deere 727A PTO Clutch Removal #1  

Bfavro

Tractor
JD 3039, 727A, L130
I have a John Deere 727A Z-Turn mower that started dying when the mower had been running for a couple of minutes. Last couple of uses it progressively shuts off almost immediately and the PTO is engaged. The PTO has been making loud noises for a few weeks. I believe it is binding and causing the motor to die. I was able to get the center bolt off using an air gun (IMG_0474 attached) but am unable to get the rest of the PTO housing (IMG-0475) off the shaft . I spent a couple of hours in the garage today with PB Blaster, a pry bar and a sledge - no luck. Anyone have any ideas on a tool or technique. Complicating matters is the PTO is under the machine with very little room to work. Everything I have read states that the PTO "should" slide right off the shaft. If by that they mean after days of banging and prying.....

Any suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0475.JPG
    IMG_0475.JPG
    924.7 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_0474.JPG
    IMG_0474.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 185
   / John Deere 727A PTO Clutch Removal #2  
Well I don't know for sure, but in the second photo, it looks like the clutch housing in the area of the key is bent in. Could be causing binding, or could just be the photo angle.

Are you trying to save the clutch? If not, a pulley puller looks like it should work.

Richard

/ John Deere 727A PTO Clutch Removal
Not concerned with saving the clutch at this point. Unfortunately I do not have a pulley or gear puller big enough for the clutch.

/ John Deere 727A PTO Clutch Removal #4  
Not concerned with saving the clutch at this point. Unfortunately I do not have a pulley or gear puller big enough for the clutch.

If your not ready to buy one, then rent. Most auto stores will rent tools.

Richard