Don't change transmission oil? One and done?

/ Don't change transmission oil? One and done? #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
I have a John Deere LX280 lawn tractor with over 650 hours on it.
I started wondering if the transmission oil should be changed.
The manual only says to check the level every 50 hours.
and under the "How to check oil" section of the manual it says:

Transmission Oil

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Dirt and debris in the hydraulic oil can cause damage to the transmission:
· Do not drain or change the transmission oil.
· See your John Deere dealer for service.
· Do not mix transmission oils.

SAE 5W30 engine oil with API classification of SE or higher is recommended in the transmission.

Checking Transmission Oil Level

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Dirt and debris in the hydraulic oil can cause damage to the transmission:
· Do not drain or change the transmission oil.
· See your John Deere dealer for service.
· Do not mix transmission oils.

Anybody know why you shouldn't change the oil. Or when you should "See your John Deere dealer for service"? Pffft!
Are these transmissions a : Use the existing oil until they fail, "one and done" transmission?

/ Don't change transmission oil? One and done? #2  
No, you can change the oil. Tuff Torque likely even has instructions /capacities on their website. K62? It has drains on the bottom. Clean it up good first.

/ Don't change transmission oil? One and done? #3  
This is similar to the information that was in the manual for my old JD 175 Hydro lawn tractor. It very clearly warned to never change the hydro fluid. And... I never did. I ran that tractor for over 25 years and checked the transmission oil level regularly. It always showed full and I never had to add any. That tractor had over 2000 hrs on it when I sold it and the transmission still worked as good as the day it was new. It seems unthinkable as my new X500 wants the fluid changed every 200 hrs.

/ Don't change transmission oil? One and done? #4  
Remind yourself

The warantee is for X years, will the fluid hold up that long? After that, the tractor is YOURS!

Perspective:

Audi offers a 7 year warrantee on the vehicles along with "life time" fluid in the transmissions.

ZF makes the transmissions for Audi (and many others), and recommends fluid changes every 50 K miles of so.

Which do you believe? And for what reasons?

Do the automakers know something that the transmission makers don't?

Last edited:
   / Don't change transmission oil? One and done? #5  
1973 John Deere 212 used yesterday to mow with. In addition I pulled a Jeep that had broken down on the road. Same oil in the trans all this time. Only a old 4 speed and original Kohler motor.

/ Don't change transmission oil? One and done? #6  
1973 John Deere 212 used yesterday to mow with. In addition I pulled a Jeep that had broken down on the road. Same oil in the trans all this time. Only a old 4 speed and original Kohler motor.

OMG "Pulled a jeep" with old oil in the transmission. Now there is fact, proof, evidence and science all rolled up in one neat bundle!

/ Don't change transmission oil? One and done? #7  
First off Deere would rather you pay one of their dealers who will use Deere brand oil in it. More money for them. Secondly I'm sure Deere doesn't want a customer using the wrong oil and mixing them together. I doubt you can get all the oil out of it. There's oil in the pump and motor that would be difficult to get out without doing damage to either. It may require an external pump to remove the oil (like an automatic transmission flushing unit). The trick with an automatic transmission is to disconnect the return line from the cooler and after filling the transmission you start the engine and let the old oil come out of the line. When you think you got all of the old stuff out you shut off the engine. But no mfg would ever support doing it that way. It's just easier to say "don't do it, contact the dealer for service".

/ Don't change transmission oil? One and done? #8  
owners manual, parts manual, shop/service manual

owner manuals = for those that do not know any better and more likely mess something up
parts manual = simple diagrams, name of item, and part number.
shop / service manual = tearing it apart and putting it back together

/ Don't change transmission oil? One and done? #9  
Do the automakers know something that the transmission makers don't?
Do the owners of lawn and garden tractor know something that the manufacturers don't? :confused:

/ Don't change transmission oil? One and done? #10  
I doubt you can get all the oil out of it. There's oil in the pump and motor that would be difficult to get out without doing damage to either. It may require an external pump to remove the oil (like an automatic transmission flushing unit). The trick with an automatic transmission is to disconnect the return line from the cooler and after filling the transmission you start the engine and let the old oil come out of the line. .. It's just easier to say "don't do it, contact the dealer for service".

I changed my LX188 which does NOT have a drain plug. But I done it by dropping the complete axle out.
Even then it's a pain. It take forever to drain out; probably 2 days.
So getting the oil as hot as possible before draining would help.
With the axle out I was able to clean it spotless before starting; draining it out the fill hole upside down.

It also take a while to fill it back up. Fill, drive, fill, drive, fill, drive etc.