Won't stay running John Deere Z997 ZTR Mower Year 2008

/ Won't stay running John Deere Z997 ZTR Mower Year 2008 #1  

feoneill9

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar/3110D
Hi:
I have a problem. The unit starts fine. As soon as I engage either of the control arms or the parking brake it shuts down. The operator present seat switch is jumped so I know that is not the problem. I took off all of the switches and cleaned them. It still does it. Any suggestions.

This is the model that has a bank of 13 relays lined up on the fire wall. The unit is not computer controlled
Thanks for any input.

/ Won't stay running John Deere Z997 ZTR Mower Year 2008 #2  
Maybe some other safety control in the wrong position ?? Not sure, but reminds me of a similar experience several years ago. Frustrating, for sure. good luck finding it...

/ Won't stay running John Deere Z997 ZTR Mower Year 2008 #3  
Jumper each other safety interlock switch, one by one, until you find the one not working, to start.
Report back results...

/ Won't stay running John Deere Z997 ZTR Mower Year 2008 #4  
Jumper each other safety interlock switch, one by one, until you find the one not working, to start.
Report back results...

Well this may not work as the control arm switches have both NO and NC contacts.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this unit? If so, please contact the OP.

Richard

/ Won't stay running John Deere Z997 ZTR Mower Year 2008
Thanks for the good advice. I would try to jump the remaining switches but I don't know how to jump a switch with 5 wires into it. Any suggestions.

Today I cleaned the ground straps but did not change anything. I traced the wires but without a WIRING DIAGRAM I am lost to what is supposed to go where. I have a new ignition switch coming Thursday, hope that will solve it.

Monday I will purchase a Tech Serv manual if I can be sure that it is for a 2008 model year and not the over2011 that JD wants one to buy.

Appreciate the advice and will keep everyone informed.

/ Won't stay running John Deere Z997 ZTR Mower Year 2008 #6  
You may have to test the safety switches, and if they all check out then start testing the relays. I suspect it may be a faulty relay myself. Any safety switch that gives a resistance over .5 ohms is considered faulty and should be replaced.

The reason I am waiting on the ignition switch is that is where all of the safety switches and others come together: the seat, the handles, the brake, the PTO, the fuel solenoid, the water temp, the oil pressure, the starter , the buzzer, and the injector heater. If that is bad it could set off the switches.

Monday I will order the expensive and only mfg. that sell s your manual-other theirs give it way hint TORO. It will take 2 weeks to get it to me. JD has yet to discover downloads. Welcome to the 21th century.

Well the mystery thickens. Today I out three new John Deere fresh safety switches in - Parking Brake, Right drive lever and left drive lever. After each installation I tested them. No change. But after running a bit I tested them again and I was able to release the parking brake and the unit kept running.

This makes me think that the relay is OK if one switch operates correctly as there is only one relay with purple wires- same as the switches- running unto it.

Must be that the problem is elsewhere. Any suggestions or have I exhausted the groups knowledge. Thanks for the help.

Should read Today I out in three etc.

I could not buy the Tech Manual today. JD wanted me to buy the manual for a 2015 Z997R, going so far as to suggest I copied my serial incorrectly.

I found the correct operators manual on a JD dealer site in Ireland. It is printed in the Netherlands and covers my exact model 997 Z-Trak. Model year 2007.

Tomorrow I will see if I can order the Technical Service Manual in the US once JD gives me the correct part number. If not I will have to get it from the Irish dealer. My life is complicated all because I have no electrical drawing.