New John Deere X590 Smokes When Starting??

/ New John Deere X590 Smokes When Starting?? #1  

farmbuilt

Tractor
JD X590
All,

A few weeks ago I purchased a John Deere X590 with 80 hours on it at a very good deal. I have used this mower 4 times so far and have not messed with anything yet (no oil changes, air filter, etc). Havent tampered with anything at all. It was serviced right before I bought it - I have the paperwork and it was completely serviced. Each time I used it, no smoke came out of the front. However, today, a bunch of grey/white smoke came blasting out of the front exhaust like the older models do with the chokes and it lasted for about 1 minute and it was THICK... all clear now.. but I'm worried because its never done this before...

The X590 is an electronic fuel ignition and it doesn't have a choke.. so my question is, do these models smoke sometimes?? I checked EVERYTHING. Oil level is fine, air filter clean, wires are all connected... I cannot seem to figure how why this thing blew white smoke for almost a minute straight, as if Oil somehow got into the carb??

I'm trying not to freak out, but I am alittle worried that perhaps something is wrong with it. Funny because yesterday after cutting, it was fine. I even started it up last night, and it was fine. Just today when I got home, it blew smoke when it never had before.. again its an EFI engine.. no choke on this one.

Anyone that has EFI have this issue? What could have been the cause?

Thanks much for your help.... I spent a good amount of money on this thing and It kinda freaked me out..it still has 2 yrs left on warranty but I'm not sure what could have caused it to do this..

/ New John Deere X590 Smokes When Starting?? #2  
Gas additive?Mine smokes a little in the spring after a dose of Stabil;I only run 91 octane non-eth.

/ New John Deere X590 Smokes When Starting??
I did put new gas in it with a little bit of Star Tron additive, but I used the same gas before and had no problems. Unless this time perhaps I did put alittle more than normal dose of stabilizer additive. Would that make it smoke? I didnt overdo the stabilizer dosage. If this machine had 1000+ hours on it, I would assume the injectors may be gunky and need cleaning, but this thing only has 88 hours on it..I mean this thing smoked for a good 20 seconds heavily, then smoked a little bit more for about 15 seconds...

/ New John Deere X590 Smokes When Starting?? #4  
I did put new gas in it with a little bit of Star Tron additive, but I used the same gas before and had no problems. Unless this time perhaps I did put alittle more than normal dose of stabilizer additive. Would that make it smoke? I didnt overdo the stabilizer dosage.

Why are you putting additives in your fuel when you are using the machine once or more a week?

Not necessary.

Richard

Richard,

I was told that adding stabilizer in your gas helps keep the injectors clean as well as beneficial to the engine - which is the reason why I use additives and treat my gas.

/ New John Deere X590 Smokes When Starting?? #6  
Those selling additives will tell us anything... ;)

How does stabilizer cause white smoke to pour out of the front exhaust? Im curious to know why. I've treated my gas in engines for 15 years and I've never had this issue. The JD manual even says always use treated gas with stabilizer for each use.

What else would cause this?

/ New John Deere X590 Smokes When Starting?? #8  
Hard to tell if this was just one occurrence of the smoke. Maybe test by running this tank of gas until empty, and then refuel with an untreated tank of fresh gas to see if the smoke continues.

/ New John Deere X590 Smokes When Starting?? #9  
You have 2 years left on warranty. If you can consistently recreate the symptoms I would call the dealer. The dealer can use the serial number to view previous dealer maintenance.
Does the machine have to sit a period of time to cause it to smoke? Do you have to leave the ignition on for a while before starting to make it smoke? What does the smoke smell like? Oil or fuel? Is the machine parked on an unleveled surface tipping oil to the lower cylinder? Oil overfilled?
Just throwing out some questions. You will have to reproduce the problem to fix it.

Thank you for your responses.

Spindifferent - I can certainly test that. I would just assume that, it would have smoked the other 5 times I used it if it was due to the stabilizer in the gas. But you never know.

Amvcane - I started it up sunday twice, and was fine. When starting yesterday, it smoked for 10 seconds and it only sat for about 16 hours or so. The smoke smells like oil and was white/greyish, dont think it was fuel smell - hard to tell sometimes. Parked on a level garage floor and checked all fluids - nothing is overfilled. Oil line is right at the full line, not passed it. Air filter clean as well.

I called the service shop, two different ones actually. One tech said its normal and happens from time to time, even with EFI engines, some buildup may cause it, and said even at 80 hours that engine still isnt that broke in and happens sometimes... Other said, he thinks it could have been a small buildup or particle that may have dropped down and been burned up when starting. They both said since it stopped afterwards and didnt continue to smoke, not to worry about it. If it continues to happen frequently, then bring it in, could be a gasket that may be leaking oil somewhere. I'll start it back up tonight and see what happens. If it smokes again tonight like it did yesterday, then I know its oil coming in if its happening suddenly after the first time.

Called the original owner, he also said it did that a couple of times to him as well. Interesting.