Turf tires don't work. Need a more aggressive set of rears for a JD 145

/ Turf tires don't work. Need a more aggressive set of rears for a JD 145 #1  

nickel plate

Veteran Member
Tractor
2002 New Holland TC40S
I want to buy another set of spare rear rims and more aggressive rear tires for my John Deere 145 Automatic riding mower.
Currently installed on the rear are the original Carlisle 22 x 9.50 - 12 NHS turf tires. They're perfectly O.K. around the yard but don't work well in hilly areas. The mower has plenty of power but those turf tires will hopelessly spin out attempting some uphill brush mowing which then requires a time consuming winch rescue.
Is anyone here running a more aggressive rear tread, knobby type to R1 heavy lugs? Please describe your set up.
Other than a JD dealer, any ideas on where to buy two new or used rear rims? I'm located in the central valley area of California.
I'm not at this time interested in weights or loaded tires.

/ Turf tires don't work. Need a more aggressive set of rears for a JD 145 #2  
Nickel said:
Other than a JD dealer, any ideas on where to buy two new or used rear rims?

Well if you can give us the bolt pattern, bolt hole size and the rim offsets, maybe an alternate source could be found.

Richard

/ Turf tires don't work. Need a more aggressive set of rears for a JD 145 #3  
I wouldn’t do it. The engine has plenty of power, the tranny is weak spot, the tranny in the D145 is a K46- tires spinning is protecting the tranny from burning out.The K46 only puts 2.73HP to rear tires no matter how strong the engine it. Either live with what you have or trade in the D145 for a tractor with stronger tranny

/ Turf tires don't work. Need a more aggressive set of rears for a JD 145 #4  
There are different patterns of turf tires which have better or worse traction.

Lawn Tire Tread.jpg

I have found the worst traction to be the #5 tire in the image with chevron tread. I switched from this on my Craftsman to the next to last tread, and traction was much better.

/ Turf tires don't work. Need a more aggressive set of rears for a JD 145 #5  
Try the HDAP tires. They are available on the newer L&G tractors and come in sizes that fit the older tractors as well. Carlisle calls them "All-Trail":
All Trail - All Trail II Tire

I have also seen a few people use R4 tires. These are the "square-bar" type that you see on skid-steers and small construction equipment. But they are only available in limited sizes.

/ Turf tires don't work. Need a more aggressive set of rears for a JD 145 #6  
Try the HDAP tires.

Bought a new X-758 it came with the HDAP tires had to replace them just to ruff on my grass also tracking mud in the shop . Went with Ag bar tires much better ,

/ Turf tires don't work. Need a more aggressive set of rears for a JD 145 #7  
Let us know when those powdered metal gears shatter or contaminate the oil with metal particles.

/ Turf tires don't work. Need a more aggressive set of rears for a JD 145
Researched Carlisle:
Turf master
Turf Smart
Both 22 X 9.50 - 12
Anyone running these or other similar?
Again, hill country.
Mow down hill, return uphill mower off.

/ Turf tires don't work. Need a more aggressive set of rears for a JD 145 #9  
Chains?

/ Turf tires don't work. Need a more aggressive set of rears for a JD 145 #10  
Have you thought about running wheel weights? I have a hilly property and both my 300 series tractors have wheel weights on all the time. Great improvement.