LX266 riding mower- Starts and immediately dies, won't again start for hours

/ LX266 riding mower- Starts and immediately dies, won't again start for hours #1  

MossflowerWoods

Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, Gravely 60" ZTR Mower. Stihl MS290 (selling), CS261, & FS190 + Echo CS400 & 2010 F-350 6.4 PSD snowplow truck
I've had this mower since 2005 and almost new.

Right now if its has set overnight (for example) it will fire right up and immediately die. Nothing will start it again except time, if I try too much I get gas dripping out of the exhaust pipe.

My neighbor suggested a stuck float.

The mower was running great right up to the day before this started. Mowed 1/2 the yard and parked it, next day, no go...

Suggestions please.

Thanks in advance and be well all!
David

/ LX266 riding mower- Starts and immediately dies, won't again start for hours #2  
It sounds as though that you are getting fuel if you are getting excessive fuel to where it drips out. The question there is, is it just from the over choking. Bear in mind that you should be careful should you be doing things like checking for spark. Check the oil for fuel presents and verify that the cylinder isn't being flooded with fuel. I would remove the spark plug, maybe spin the engine by the top screen a couple times and let it de-flood. Then try a new spark plug and before installing, check for spark. If all is a go install the plug and see what happens. A plug is cheap and easy. Should you find that you have no spark, unsnap the engine connector and try again. Still no spark, you likely have a failed coil.

/ LX266 riding mower- Starts and immediately dies, won't again start for hours
It sounds as though that you are getting fuel if you are getting excessive fuel to where it drips out. The question there is, is it just from the over choking. Bear in mind that you should be careful should you be doing things like checking for spark. Check the oil for fuel presents and verify that the cylinder isn't being flooded with fuel. I would remove the spark plug, maybe spin the engine by the top screen a couple times and let it de-flood. Then try a new spark plug and before installing, check for spark. If all is a go install the plug and see what happens. A plug is cheap and easy. Should you find that you have no spark, unsnap the engine connector and try again. Still no spark, you likely have a failed coil.

Tom,

It starts instantly every time I let it sit (probably the carb is deflooding).

That instant start should prove the spark is good, right?

I agree, spark is cheap and easy.

Thanks,
David

/ LX266 riding mower- Starts and immediately dies, won't again start for hours #4  
Sounds like choke is stuck. Get some carburetor cleaner from Walmart and spray everything clean inside & out.

View attachment 517474

/ LX266 riding mower- Starts and immediately dies, won't again start for hours #5  
May be, just a maybe by chance is there a low oil level sensor and once it fires it shuts down because the oil is low?

May be, just a maybe by chance is there a low oil level sensor and once it fires it shuts down because the oil is low?

I checked the oil, lightly low, but only slightly.

Doubtful but a good idea.

David

Sounds like choke is stuck. Get some carburetor cleaner from Walmart and spray everything clean inside & out.

I can see the choke moving, but not much. I will check this.

Thanks,
David

/ LX266 riding mower- Starts and immediately dies, won't again start for hours #8  
what engine? is it a V-twin, if so I've seen the diode pack that is wired to the kill on the ignition go bad, it will recover after sitting, as soon as it sees electrical energy it shorts, let it set it recovers, rinse and repeat

if you pull the 2 wires from it to the coil, it will allow to start, but the only KILL is by then grounding the spark plug(s) or pinching off the fuel or choking it by blocking the air intake - not recommended practices unless you are a comfortable mechanic though

what engine? is it a V-twin, if so I've seen the diode pack that is wired to the kill on the ignition go bad, it will recover after sitting, as soon as it sees electrical energy it shorts, let it set it recovers, rinse and repeat

if you pull the 2 wires from it to the coil, it will allow to start, but the only KILL is by then grounding the spark plug(s) or pinching off the fuel or choking it by blocking the air intake - not recommended practices unless you are a comfortable mechanic though

It is a Kohler 16HP. Never seen a V-Twin mower, only V-Twin's I have are my Harleys... LOL...

I'm not much of a mechanic LOL...

David

I've removed the air cleaner and I tried instant start fluid and nothing. It puddled in the top of carb and dripped out the exhaust...

Sigh...

David