Adjusting mower deck height

/ Adjusting mower deck height #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Picked up a reconditioned D155 mower from Home Depot & got a 33% discount (sale price and military combined). They are selling fast, so if you want a replacement mower and don't mind reconditioned, check them out asap.

Now, if you buy new JD from HD you get their "white glove" service, which means the mower actually comes from a dealer, delivered by a technician who unpacks it, does final assembly, adjusts it, tests it & shows you how to run it. I figured it had been done for the original buyer and didn't notice until I ran it that the deck height was way off. Followed the adjustment procedure in the manual and got the deck level with no problem, but the height is way low. Lowest level is about 1/4 inch and highest is about 3". Supposed to range from 1-4".

Called dealer & they said, "Bring it to our shop."

Looking it over before loading it on the trailer & hauling it 20 mi, it looks like all that needs to be done is to raise it up with the level adjustment nuts. So that's what I'm going to do unless someone here can tell me why I shouldn't.

/ Adjusting mower deck height #2  
That is the first thing I do all mowers I ever got were off some .

/ Adjusting mower deck height #3  
Mine was set by the dealer but I did read the procedure. Did you set the level with the deck at the correct height. I think mine is suppose to be set at 2 1/2" inches.

/ Adjusting mower deck height
Mine also called for 2 inches, then back off the forward nut 1-2 turns.

/ Adjusting mower deck height #5  
Set your rear tyre pressures first of all. Make sure they're even side-to-side then follow the procedure in your Operators Manual verbatim.

JD sell a very helpful device to set blade height. Your dealer has it.

/ Adjusting mower deck height #6  
Finding a flat piece of concrete to measure from is important. Not all concrete is flat. It's easy for novice concrete finishers to get 1/4" plus-or-minus dips and swales.

/ Adjusting mower deck height
I called the dealer & the mechanic said to keep fiddling with it; not a very helpful contact.
I first used 2" blocks as the manual said, then, 3" and finally 1 3/4" ( a 2X2 on it's side). Nothing worked.
So the mechanic who said to fiddle will get to work on it tomorrow.

/ Adjusting mower deck height #8  
The operating manual for the D155 is pretty straight forward with the two methods to set up the deck. Using the blocks, is what you are doing.
Don't understand why you would go to different size blocks. Stick with the 2" blocks.

Are you doing this method with the mower deck wheels removed so they are not resting on the flat surface when you are trying to make adjustments?

1. tires at correct pressure.
2. deck sits on 3 of the 2" blocks
3. Position lift lever in the 2 1/2 " notch.

4. adjust the front and the two rear lift rods so the deck is raised just off the 2" blocks.
5. remove the blocks
6. back off the correct # of turns on the front rod.

Should then set the deck wheels according to the manual and have to be good to go.

Last edited: