X540 Nightmare, Help!!

/ X540 Nightmare, Help!! #1  

daisyman

Tractor
(2)Ferguson TO20, (2)Ferguson TO30, Massey Ferguson 35, Ferguson F40, 730 Case, AC WD45, 8N Ford, 631 Ford.
Hello everyone,
I'm working on an X540 for a guy. The deck will NOT turn on! I tried every conceivable way to get this to go. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a unit with serial # 540D013283? This is in the first series of serial numbers, under 020xxx, made in 2007.
I've checked all the switches with a meter, safety switches, including the one under the foot pedal, activated the relays(2), the electric clutch( it works and runs the deck if hot wired), continuity of the wiring through the connectors, ignition switch, seat switch (it's jumped and has been for a long time), and put a tube in the back tire (LOL). They all check out good. The tractor starts and runs just fine.
I hate to go and buy switches and find out that's not the problem. Anyone can do that, is just costs a lot, and it's not mine.

What am I missing here? Is there one more place I haven't looked?? I'm hoping the wiring diagram might help. I've looked all over the internet for one, but can't find one. There's 3 serial number breaks for these machines.

Thanks, Irv

Last edited:
   / X540 Nightmare, Help!!
Good idea, but I'm not sure I can figure out the circuitry without a wiring diagram. I didn't know if there was some kind of electronic module I could ruin by applying voltage to the wrong spot, and I sure didn't want to do that!! What's the "interlock module" you're referring to?? And where is it?
This morning I tested the PTO switch and the switch under the foot pedal both on the NO and NC side under load (the electric clutch) and they all work.

Thanks for your reply.... Irv

/ X540 Nightmare, Help!! #3  
Good idea, but I'm not sure I can figure out the circuitry without a wiring diagram. I didn't know if there was some kind of electronic module I could ruin by applying voltage to the wrong spot, and I sure didn't want to do that!! What's the "interlock module" you're referring to?? And where is it?
This morning I tested the PTO switch and the switch under the foot pedal both on the NO and NC side under load (the electric clutch) and they all work.

Thanks for your reply.... Irv
Put the key in on position with the engine not running, put the PTO in on position, sit someone (or something) in the seat and measure voltage at the battery, then at the plug to the clutch (both with the clutch plugged in). The two measurements should be less than 2 volts different.

Aaron Z

/ X540 Nightmare, Help!!
OK, I tried that and I've got 12.38 at the battery and 12.17 at the connector to the clutch. So, I thought, I'll put a test light at the clutch connection and it came on. I also put it in the other terminal and it came on again, both sides!! So, I shut all the switches off and my test light STILL came on! Both sides! What's up with that??

/ X540 Nightmare, Help!!
The x300 schematic is posted here on TBN, and I suspect that the x540 will be similar. The module is one of those magic black boxes that contain the logic to control various "interlocked" functions such as the PTO and starting as examples. I suspect that it is under the dash somewhere, but I really don't know.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ting-pto-problem-post2364943.html#post2364943

Thanks for the diagram. This one has a small black box that looks like the instrument panel module on the back side of the dash. I didn't know if that was it or not. I'm beginning to think that's the culprit. The thing is, that the tractor starts up and runs as it should, and has the "delay off " to the engine.

Update; I looked at JD parts online and an X300 does have a module, #AM134432, but the X540 only has a "display module". Same thing?? On the tractor it only looks like it just has the instruments in it but that "delay off" has got to be in there somewhere>

2ND Update; I think I'm getting too old for this. LOL That electronic module was up under the dash in plain sight!!! The thing of it is, this tractor is not supposed to have one and there is not one listed in the parts list. That started in the 2nd series of serial numbers, from 020000 and up. The number of the module is AM141075.

Irv

Last edited:
   / X540 Nightmare, Help!! #6  
OK, I tried that and I've got 12.38 at the battery and 12.17 at the connector to the clutch. So, I thought, I'll put a test light at the clutch connection and it came on. I also put it in the other terminal and it came on again, both sides!! So, I shut all the switches off and my test light STILL came on! Both sides! What's up with that??
This is with the clutch connected? What is the voltage from wire to the other?

Aaron Z

/ X540 Nightmare, Help!!
   / X540 Nightmare, Help!!
Well, after looking at the wiring diagram I see that the PTO does indeed go through the module. So I went to my dealer and got a module, put it on thinking AHA, I got it now......
NOTHING, just like it was!! Oh boy.
I've checked some of the grounds as suggested. I'm going to do more investigating on those. Wish me luck, I've about run out of anything else.

Irv

/ X540 Nightmare, Help!! #9  
post removed- after seeing ops post that applying + 12vdc does engage clutch??.

Concerning test light coming on, on both sides of clutch connection -Did you possibly connect the test light clip to the battery + voltage?
This would give the lights test probe access to ground through the clutches coil winding on either connection, assuming no voltage supplied by relay-
(Using the linked schematic that was posted earlier as a reference).
it seems there may be a different schematic that is an exact match for this machine.?.?

Last edited:
   / X540 Nightmare, Help!! #10  
If you turn the key and the PTO on with someone in the seat, is there voltage on both wires if you disconnect the connector from the clutch? What you're saying sounds almost like the ground side is disconnected somewhere between the clutch and ground.

Aaron Z