John Deere 214 - Varible drive

/ John Deere 214 - Varible drive #1  

57tbone

Tractor
IH 284 diesel
Can anyone tell me about the variable drive on the old but great machine. I am having trouble with it pulling in thick grass and moving the variable drive lever sometimes all the way down it will catch. I put a new belt on at the first of the season and got better and adjusted the drive by loosning the nut on the side and turning engine over till clutch petal come up and stopped, tighten nut and some better but again back to having pulling problem. Is there a spring that could get weak after 34 years of cutting 1 acre of yard every week for 9 months a season. I have had this tractor since new in 1983 and love it and not ready to put it to pasture. Please any help? Can not buy one like this one anymore. Forget Lowes or Home Depot, that's not John Deere and even John Deere dealer do not have any like these were! Thanks! John Deere 214 .

/ John Deere 214 - Varible drive #2  
Well I have a John Deere 214 with vari shift. Mine was acting all kinds of wrong until I did three things. First, I got the two new transmission belts. These must be genuine John Deere belts, since they have a proprietary bevel. Second, adjust like the procedure you listed. Third, the 2 sliding shivs were getting stuck. I freed them up and applied a generous amount of penetrating oil to them. Since then, it has shifted spectacular.

/ John Deere 214 - Varible drive #3  
Remove both belt from the variable sheave and confirm that the center "V" sheave slides side to side smoothly. After 30 + years the can get crud built up and not move smoothly. Also check to make sure it does not wobble on the shaft. I had to replace the shaft and center sheave on my old 112 since the were wore out.

Like Wolfy stated, always replace both belts.

/ John Deere 214 - Varible drive #4  
Remove both belt from the variable sheave and confirm that the center "V" sheave slides side to side smoothly. After 30 + years the can get crud built up and not move smoothly. Also check to make sure it does not wobble on the shaft. I had to replace the shaft and center sheave on my old 112 since the were wore out.

Like Wolfy stated, always replace both belts.

All of this ^.

Lube shaft with 'dry' Teflon-based spray lubricant - Available from your JD dealer.

Your last comment regarding Lowes & HD is rubbish. Those are JD machines made by ... JD. Just not all models are sold through all dealers. Minor differences are often cosmetic (seat type. arm rests, toolbox in fender etc. Examples only.)

/ John Deere 214 - Varible drive
Thanks to all of you for your help, the belts I understand because I have used Gates for the pass years and that may be the big problem and gunk build up. Will try to lube up shaft. I did not mean to piss anybody off with my comment about Lowes or Home Depot. Just quoting what John Deere said to me. Thanks again! I will post my update after I do what y"all' have said!