x595 engine kills when rising off seat

/ x595 engine kills when rising off seat #1  

RedHawkRidge

Silver Member
I'm sure this topic has been posted previously, but when I try the site's Search function, I get thousands of hits without finding a relevant one.
My 595 is 15 yrs old and reliability has been golden. Today (in Wis and temp is 25F), the engine stops running as soon as I release the brake pedal. I took the underseat switch to my JD dealer. Service people told me that JD's garden equipment is notorious for a problem in this area. They tested the switch and it was okay. They said it could be bypassed, but weren't authorized to tell me how.
So can someone enlighten me? (a customer in the store said fixing the problem can be fixed simply with a paper clip).
thanks jim

/ x595 engine kills when rising off seat #2  
I'm sure this topic has been posted previously, but when I try the site's Search function, I get thousands of hits without finding a relevant one.
My 595 is 15 yrs old and reliability has been golden. Today (in Wis and temp is 25F), the engine stops running as soon as I release the brake pedal. I took the underseat switch to my JD dealer. Service people told me that JD's garden equipment is notorious for a problem in this area. They tested the switch and it was okay. They said it could be bypassed, but weren't authorized to tell me how.
So can someone enlighten me? (a customer in the store said fixing the problem can be fixed simply with a paper clip).
thanks jim

i'll offer a quick step to try, see if you can use your knee to depress the seat and then try to release the brake,
(after you put the switch back in)
it may just be the foam cushion on the seat is frozen and you didn't eat enough mashed potatos at
thanksgiving so you aren't fully depressing the foam enough to depress the switch...

/ x595 engine kills when rising off seat #3  
Another quick method (which I, of course, do not advocate doing) is to move the switch from under the seat and then tie-wrap a small piece of wood over the switch... keeping it permanently engaged.

The switch is normally engaged due to the sponginess of the seat material. If it's very cold the springallity (it is so a word... I coined it over 25 years ago!) will be compromised and the switch won't engage until you've spent enough time to warm the seat.

/ x595 engine kills when rising off seat #4  
There are a few styles of seat switches:

1.) Plastic lever arm switch - These are known to break (lever arm) or the switch corrodes out. Hardest to replace because you have to tear the seat apart to replace.
2.) Seat frame mounted push button switch - known to corrode internally due to being more exposed but easier to replace.
3.) newer style air bag pressure switch - these are pattern after the car seat sensors, that arm the passenger air bags systems. So which do you have?

So it depends on whether you still have the original seat. Looks like the exposed type seat switch from the john deere parts site. I'm attaching illustration and parts list.

I would clean connections on the seat switch plug. Also look at brake switch also, since these could be daisy chained (series wired), Finally the PTO switch. Oh you have the famous ignition key and module, look at the fuses and the lights this will also be a key to what is going on.

Attachments

• x595 seat suspension prts list.JPG
    x595 seat suspension prts list.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 152
  • x595 seat suspension.JPG
    x595 seat suspension.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 265
   / x595 engine kills when rising off seat #5  
I'd unplug the seat switch and put a wire jumper in the female slots to replace the male prongs of the switch. Works for me.. But beware, no more safety if you fall off the seat.
1" long piece of #14 wire bent in U shape with insulation peeled off the ends is what I do.

Be sure that the PTO is not engaged as this may cause the failure that you describe as well.

/ x595 engine kills when rising off seat #6  
beenthere, he took switch off and down to dealer and it tested fine. so it is either a connection problem or the safety/ignition interlock module or another safety switch or PTO switch

/ x595 engine kills when rising off seat #7  
beenthere, he took switch off and down to dealer and it tested fine. so it is either a connection problem or the safety/ignition interlock module or another safety switch or PTO switch

/ x595 engine kills when rising off seat
I put a jumper wire across the female posts in the wire harness's connector that comes up to the bottom of the seat -- problem solved. Since the wire and switch/plug (that sits on the underside of the seat) are disabled, I removed the switch and threaded the wiring back down into the chassis (I love removing stuff that have no purpose than to handicap the functionality of the equipment).
Here's an interesting twist: I stopped at the dealership and thanked the service guy who hinted how to fix the problem. He told me to be sure to restore the wiring, remove the jumper, and reconnect the switch when I bring it in for repair or service. Why, I naively asked. Well, if the tech/service sees what I did, they are obliged to return the functionality of the cutoff switch to the factory condition. Thank you JD and all you government bureaucrats who want to protect me from myself...
I wonder if Special Counsel Robert Mueller will send the feds to confiscate my x595?????

/ x595 engine kills when rising off seat #9  
Yep. I've had this problem many times in the Winter with my X595. I bounce up & down on the seat a few times while the tractor is running and the parking brake is engaged. That usually solves the problem when the seat is cold and the cushions are hard in freezing temperatures. You could unplug the seat switch and install a jumper wire with male spade connectors into the female terminals of the seat switch harness but then the seat safety switch is disabled; meaning if you leave the seat of the running tractor with the PTO engaged or without the parking brake engaged, your tractor engine will remain running.

However, if you ever take the machine in for service, the JD service center is OBLIGATED to return the switch back to original at your cost; plus, they must report their findings to John Deere. You can also do the same thing to the RIO (Reverse Implement Option) override on your PTO switch. (There's a youtube video that shows you how) Then you can back up with the PTO engaged without pulling up on the PTO switch or having it automatically turning off and having to restart it. (I do this in the Winter for snow blowing when I have to frequently back up and it saves wear & tear on the electric clutch.) But be sure to put everything back to original condition before you loan out or sell the machine to avoid possible liability litigation for disabling factory installed safety devices.

Last edited:
   / x595 engine kills when rising off seat #10  
When I took my X748 in for a radiator replacement last year I informed the service manager that I disabled the RIO and seat switch. I asked him if that was a problem and do I need to put it back before I bring it in. He said they didn't care what I did to it. So I guess it depends on the dealer.