Picked up a COMPLETE JD 445 for $150 !!!

/ Picked up a COMPLETE JD 445 for $150 !!! #1  

ThatMowerGuy

Tractor
Honda H4518, John Deere F725
Well this may be the craziest score of my mower world! :cool2:
I picked up a complete JD 445 with just under 1000 hrs on it for $150! Granted it doesn't start or run but the panels are all there, hood is good, grille is a little busted up but usable, 1 tail light is missing, it has a 48" deck under it that looks good, and the motor seems to be good, ( seems to have good compression and it cranks over jumping the starter)....
I am aware of the plastic cam gear but right now that is the least of my worries, I can tackle that when I know it is worth it to do it.
I need a little help on where to start with this project. :confused:

The ignition switch is missing, and there are several wires cut directly in front of and/or going to the ignition control board. Looking at the board it defiantly needs replaced as there are even some resistors and components missing on the board itself. I also found 2 or 3 fuse holders that have been cut completely out of the wiring and were laying down below without fueses.

I will get more pictures as soon as I can, it was late and dark last night when I was unloading it and pulling the panels off of it to have a look inside...
This picture is where it sat in the garage when I picked it up, I didn't mess around with it there just wanted to get it loaded and on my way home.

I would just like to know a good place to start and if there is some way to get power to the computer(s) so I can try to start and run this thing to find out if it is worth dumping $$$$ into or if it is a parter outer.....:confused:

Thanks very much to all in advance, TMG.

Attachments

• IMG_0167RS.jpg
    IMG_0167RS.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 283
   / Picked up a COMPLETE JD 445 for $150 !!! #2  
Nice find!!!! Anxious to see your progress.

Sorry I can't help you with your questions. Hopefully someone will come along with the answers.

/ Picked up a COMPLETE JD 445 for $150 !!!
Well I went home at lunch and verified a few things, the engine cam is working(valves move when cranked over), according to serial number on frame it is a 1993 model 445, hours are 913, can't tell if the engine case has been split so assuming cam is original plastic toothed one, the blades on the deck are like new very few hours on them and the grass build up is somewhat fresh, that tells me it was mowing this last season....

Took picture of wires that are cut, I don't know if these are all wires that went to the key switch or not, key switch is completely gone...

Attachments

• IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 198
   / Picked up a COMPLETE JD 445 for $150 !!! #4  
I have the 425 and has been a fantastic mower and snowblower. If you get the shop manual from John deere it is very in depth. I think mine ran about $40. 445 is a little bigger so should be a good machine and a steal for that price.

/ Picked up a COMPLETE JD 445 for $150 !!! #5  
I believe he has it up and running after replacing the ignition key/ safety interlock board, and a couple of sensors. Following thread over on MTF and WFM