30 second oil change - NEW oil and filter system

/ 30 second oil change - NEW oil and filter system #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I stopped by Lowes and was browsing around and saw signs on their jd riders saying a 30 second oil change..

From what I can tell - you get a HUGE oil filter that has oil in it and you just swap it out for the old contaminated filter.. Not sure if you have to drain and readd more oil or not..

Shocking part is that this new filter/oil is about $40

John Deere New Easy Change 3-Second Oil Change System

Anyone seen this or know more about it? Seems like a good way for JD to make you have to buy their oil change kit vs buying a filter and a few quarts of oil for under $20...

Brian

/ 30 second oil change - NEW oil and filter system #2  
When I bought my property, it included a Deere L130. It was about ten years old, and thrashed, but only had about 500 hours on the meter. The Kohler engine ran like new. I found many similar stories as I was researching a new machine.

Deere has now designed a system to prevent the engine from outlasting the rest of the machine... :)

/ 30 second oil change - NEW oil and filter system #3  
I was in Home Depot last fall and they had Toro push mowers that said "No oil change required!" Just check and add if it's low. Where the drain plug normally goes they had a flush plug.

/ 30 second oil change - NEW oil and filter system #4  
It's plain krap. Let's take a sump of 2 quarts or so with a standard filter and change roughly 40% of it. With the big filter- even less. Deere will also sell you a retrofit kit - a nipple and a filter if you don't believe the hype. On walk behinds, it is based on 125? hour life. More Shinola.

/ 30 second oil change - NEW oil and filter system #5  
Sad thing is this will lead to more oil changes and longer equipment life. Reality is very few do basic maintenance to their equipment

Brett

/ 30 second oil change - NEW oil and filter system #6  
Sad thing is this will lead to more oil changes and longer equipment life. Reality is very few do basic maintenance to their equipment

Brett

So true. This group is abnormal in a sense. :)

/ 30 second oil change - NEW oil and filter system #7  
I would guess John Deere is saying..."when it's time to change the oil, just discard the mower in the trash." It seems this is coming to the "throw away society" now, and that included lawn tractors.

I will never buy something that tells me there is no need for a oil and filter change. That comes from the young engineers that are too lazy to do any maintenance on items such as lawn mowers.

/ 30 second oil change - NEW oil and filter system #8  
First off looks like they are using the filter for the oil sump. Would this cause a problem ?.
Depends on what they are using for media in the filter and the quality of the oil is.
I would say the engine will last as long or longer then the rest of the mower/tractor.
As for the mowers that you never have to change the oil, well how many people do you think that don't clean under the deck or even put the mover in out of the weather. That because alot of people have no common sense or were never taught to take case and maintain stuff. When the deck rusts out, buy a new one, when it won't start buy a new one.
Mowers to some people are throw-away items.

/ 30 second oil change - NEW oil and filter system #9  
I feel that people may change their oil more with this system...look they are for entry level lawn mowers. Most will not do a lot of service on them. They will run them until they go down hill and get a new one.
My first mower was an lt160 I knew that mower in and out and changed or rebuilt most of it until the engine bolts cracked. That little mower hauled tons of stone, wood, etc and lasted 15 years. But it was well maintained.
My 318 is the same way its just my snow machine now. My newer mower is a s240 runs great and hope it has the same life span as my others.

/ 30 second oil change - NEW oil and filter system #10  
So if the filter is the sump, what do you do with it once you've changed it? Throw it in the trash? Somehow get the oil out and recycle it? Sounds like you're trading one problem for another.