HyGuard J20C Trans fluid

/ HyGuard J20C Trans fluid #1  

Kernopelli

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Mini Ex, Deere Z930A ZTR
Time for trans fluid and filter change on my Z930A. I have ordered the filters and am wondering about J20C compatible oil. High Viscosity HyGuard is $25 gallon at local dealer and I need 4.5qts so it's $50 just for fluid/ $140 total to do the 300hr trans service myself. I DO NOT want to cheap out when it comes to these drives but at the same time, it's hard to believe there isn't a quality substitute for Deere's J20C. Anyone had proven results with another brand?

/ HyGuard J20C Trans fluid #2  
I use that JD oil in everything. I once saw a whole show (on C band) about JD oil and I am convinced of the quality. A sucker? Yeah, maybe. Look at the VW (and other makes) emissions scandal. Maybe JD buys their oil at Walmart! lol

Anyone can say anything they want it seems. Good Marketing is what it's all about. You would need extensive testing to determine the wear in one tranny over another using different oils. Almost impossible.

/ HyGuard J20C Trans fluid #3  
If it meets or exceeds the JD J20C spec it will be fine, not recommended for but labeled as meeting or exceeding.

/ HyGuard J20C Trans fluid #4  
WOW!... You are paying way too much for a gallon of TY354 J20C Hy-Gard transmission oil. My dealer charges me $13.92 gal. Yea, those filters are $44.95 ea. I did my own just few months ago. Roughly one hour of labor on my part. Dealer probably charges $160.00 for the labor.

/ HyGuard J20C Trans fluid #5  
Time for trans fluid and filter change on my Z930A. I have ordered the filters and am wondering about J20C compatible oil. High Viscosity HyGuard is $25 gallon at local dealer and I need 4.5qts so it's $50 just for fluid/ $140 total to do the 300hr trans service myself.

That price seems a bit high. JD Parts shows the following pricing on Hy-Gard:

Part Number: TY6354
Part Price: 17.04 USD Each
On Hand: 108 (Supplier Direct - Contact your dealer for availability) Check Other Stores
Description: HY-Gard - HY-GARD HYD/TRANS 1 GAL;3.78L

If they are over charging you for the fluid I suspect you are also paying too much for the filters as well. The hydraulic filter kit is $44.63 ea. It's a shame they don't sell quarts of HyGard like they do Lo-Vis HyGard then you wouldn't have to buy 8 quarts to get the 4.5 qts that you need.

BTW, according to the Operator's Manual there isn't a transmission service required until 500 hrs. Here is what is listed for 300 hrs:

Every 300 Hours
• Check and adjust valve clearance.
• Check and adjust clutch air gap if applicable (see dealer).

Every 500 Hours
• Grease Return to Neutral (RTN) bearing block.
• Check and adjust park brake (Annually or hour meter reading, whichever comes first).
• Change transmission oil and filter (Every 500 Hours after Initial Break In).

Last edited:
   / HyGuard J20C Trans fluid
That price seems a bit high. JD Parts shows the following pricing on Hy-Gard:

Part Number: TY6354
Part Price: 17.04 USD Each
On Hand: 108 (Supplier Direct - Contact your dealer for availability) Check Other Stores
Description: HY-Gard - HY-GARD HYD/TRANS 1 GAL;3.78L

If they are over charging you for the fluid I suspect you are also paying too much for the filters as well. The hydraulic filter kit is $44.63 ea. It's a shame they don't sell quarts of HyGard like they do Lo-Vis HyGard then you wouldn't have to buy 8 quarts to get the 4.5 qts that you need.

BTW, according to the Operator's Manual there isn't a transmission service required until 500 hrs. Here is what is listed for 300 hrs:

Every 300 Hours
Check and adjust valve clearance.
Check and adjust clutch air gap if applicable (see dealer).

Every 500 Hours
Grease Return to Neutral (RTN) bearing block.
Check and adjust park brake (Annually or hour meter reading, whichever comes first).
Change transmission oil and filter (Every 500 Hours after Initial Break In).

I paid $89.26 for 2 filters (Ebay) which was as cheap as I could find them. In all fairness to my local dealer, I called yesterday to confirm they had 1 gallon jugs of J20C in stock and I asked about price as well. He told me that off the top of his head he thought it was somewhere between $18-$23 gal. (+9.75% sales tax), I didn't press him to look it up. I just assumed I could expect it to be the high end of the range.

My manual says the same thing on service intervals " Change transmission oil and filter (Every 500 Hours after Initial Break In) The manual says that initial break in is "After First 300 Hours" for first trans oil and filter change.

/ HyGuard J20C Trans fluid #7  
"It's a shame they don't sell quarts of HyGard like they do Lo-Vis HyGard then you wouldn't have to buy 8 quarts to get the 4.5 qts that you need."
Yep, I just went through that when changing the hydraulic fluid in my JD 855D. I thought it was just my local JD dealer that didn't stock HY-GARD J20C, but apparently not.

It appears to be a JD corporate marketing scam. It's really aggravating, I don't like keeping open containers of oil around for a couple of years until it's time for another oil change.

/ HyGuard J20C Trans fluid #8  
I would probably just dump in a 1/2 quart of low vis to top it off.

/ HyGuard J20C Trans fluid #9  
Time for trans fluid and filter change on my Z930A. I have ordered the filters and am wondering about J20C compatible oil. High Viscosity HyGuard is $25 gallon at local dealer and I need 4.5qts so it's $50 just for fluid/ $140 total to do the 300hr trans service myself. I DO NOT want to cheap out when it comes to these drives but at the same time, it's hard to believe there isn't a quality substitute for Deere's J20C. Anyone had proven results with another brand?

Are you sure it is High Viscosity Hy-Gard? I have a CUT and have had larger JD garden tractors for decades and they all call for Lo-Vis. Hi vis can be used for higher temps extremes supposedly, but I used Lo-Vis for everything in Wisconsin weather and also Tennessee weather with never a problem. I have heard of people switch to High Vis only to change back to KLo vis because of irregularities in operation.

I just bought a few gallons of Lo-Vis for $13 and change at a JD dealer so would imagine Hi Vis would be the same. They sell that oils through Walmart on line a couple bucks cheaper also.

I always have a couple gallons of oil laying around for emergency uses, so buying a little extra never seems to be a problem for me, as long as I don't get scalped on the price in the first place.

/ HyGuard J20C Trans fluid #10  
I changed my Transmission fluid at 325 hours, as it states to change after the break-end period. The next change is due at 500 hours.
I bought only the one gallon of JD6354 J20C. Now, about that 1/3-1/2 quart that is needed to top off the tank. I used a "coffee filter" and a quart fruit jar and used about half quart of the old (removed from transmission) and strained it. This taken roughly half hour and added this to the transmission reservoir tank to top off the system. I figured this small amount of old fluid wouldn't hurt the transmission.