Steering wheel broke on my X500

/ Steering wheel broke on my X500 #11  
John Deere really must be losing it... trying to save some money when the overall safety aspect of one of the most important features on the machine is the steering wheel. Probably over 99.9% of the owners grab the steering when they get on the tractor. Somehow, JD knows they
have to make the s. wheel a safety item, and one day someone will file a class action suit....and there goes a few million.

/ Steering wheel broke on my X500 #12  
They have auto pilot systems in larger tractors and combines now. Other vehicle manufacturers are working on driverless cars, soon there will be no spot left for human interaction on lawn mowers etc. Small mowers are already available. Engineering to replace the human element which is the biggest cost in everything done today. Happy weekend

/ Steering wheel broke on my X500 #13  
I suspect this is not the only mower made with out steel frame in the spokes. Nor the only brand. Would not be shocked to find that some autos are the same. They make some strong items from plastic today.

/ Steering wheel broke on my X500 #14  
Never thought of the steering wheel as a "safety item", and still don't.

I suspect Deere will cover replacing the steering wheel that broke..

/ Steering wheel broke on my X500 #15  
I suspect this is not the only mower made with out steel frame in the spokes. Nor the only brand. Would not be shocked to find that some autos are the same. They make some strong items from plastic today.

I'm willing to bet that the majority of modern lawn and garden tractors have solid plastic steering wheels.

/ Steering wheel broke on my X500 #16  

I suspect Deere will cover replacing the steering wheel that broke..[/QUOTE/

I suppose those two tire/wheels on the front of any lawn tractor or any such vehicle that is steered for directions have no purpose if there is no steering wheels. You been driving out of control all these years and never realize that steering wheel kelp you from having an accident.

/ Steering wheel broke on my X500 #17  

I suspect Deere will cover replacing the steering wheel that broke..[/QUOTE/

I suppose those two tire/wheels on the front of any lawn tractor or any such vehicle that is steered for directions have no purpose if there is no steering wheels. You been driving out of control all these years and never realize that steering wheel kelp you from having an accident.
it keeps you from flying over the front of the tractor, too, and also falling off the side on a slope..

/ Steering wheel broke on my X500 #18  
You guys are funny.. :D

/ Steering wheel broke on my X500

I suspect Deere will cover replacing the steering wheel that broke..

The dealer hasn't even seen it and didn't question it. He just ordered a new one and when it shows up he'll replace it.

Here's a picture of the center of the wheel. I seriously doubt that any of these have steel in them. It's only about 1/8" think and to bend it that far so you could see it took me using my leg to push it. It's very strong plastic. My old MTD I think was solid but it was nowhere near the diameter of this one. I can't swear to it without cutting it, of course. I suspect that it was just made with a defect. I don't see a need to put steel in it. Maybe if I was going to race it but for a mower that's not going to go much over 5mph I just don't see the need. As for handing on to it, there's handles on each side of the seat that I use. I have one very steep hill that I can't drive down without the tires will just sliding. When I go up it I really don't pull on the steering wheel. Just leaning forward is all it takes. Besides pulling on the steering wheel would make it very hard to steer.

2018-05-21 16.03.10.jpg

/ Steering wheel broke on my X500 #20  
The dealer hasn't even seen it and didn't question it. He just ordered a new one and when it shows up he'll replace it.

Here's a picture of the center of the wheel. I seriously doubt that any of these have steel in them. It's only about 1/8" think and to bend it that far so you could see it took me using my leg to push it. It's very strong plastic. My old MTD I think was solid but it was nowhere near the diameter of this one. I can't swear to it without cutting it, of course. I suspect that it was just made with a defect. I don't see a need to put steel in it. Maybe if I was going to race it but for a mower that's not going to go much over 5mph I just don't see the need. As for handing on to it, there's handles on each side of the seat that I use. I have one very steep hill that I can't drive down without the tires will just sliding. When I go up it I really don't pull on the steering wheel. Just leaning forward is all it takes. Besides pulling on the steering wheel would make it very hard to steer.

View attachment 555141
a large magnet held close to the steering wheel will be attracted to the steel inside, that's how you tell..