craftsman vs. JD L118

/ craftsman vs. JD L118 #1  

jetman356

I am considering a Craftsman with a B&S V twin Intek(22 hp) 42" deck, hydrostatic foot pedal control, cast iron front axle. It has everything the JD L118 has plus 2 more horsepower. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I only have just less than an acre to mow.

The price of the JD L118 is $2,900, and the Craftsman is $2,550. After taxes I save $400.00. I have heard good and bad about both on this forum. Any comments would be appreciated as I need to buy this week. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

p.s.: I'm from Alberta Canada (the reason for the dollar difference)

/ craftsman vs. JD L118 #2  
Welcome to the forum.

I know which I would buy, but everyone has different 'preferences'. My only suggestion, is go look at used prices of craftsman and Deere. Appears to me there is some reason that Deere holds its value longer. A savings of $400 is a good bit of money, even Canadian /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You may want to consider 'down the road' trips to a Deere dealer vs going to a Sears service center. From that thought alone, I know which I would pick in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your decision. Others will likely provide you with more information.

/ craftsman vs. JD L118 #3  
I would suggest examing both very carefully. Check for grease fittings, thickness of the deck, & quality of blades. Does either B&S engine feature a spin off oil filter? who does Sears use for warranty work in your area? Are they any good? Close by? How far away is the Deere dealer? Are they any good? Back to the mowers, which (if any) has adjustable steering for wear compensation? There are many things to check for. You should read the similar threads in this forum.

Slam

/ craftsman vs. JD L118 #4  
Jetman: what is the prive of the L118. I thought it was about 1800$ or 1900$? I would be the Deere over the Craftsman.

/ craftsman vs. JD L118 #5  
Have you considered a good 48" walk-behind (Scag, Exmark, Toro, etc.)? If you are only going to cut grass, I would consider this option. A much better machine, and a will out cut any 48-60" riding lawn tractor.

/ craftsman vs. JD L118 #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Have you considered a zero-turn mower. You can pick up one in the 2k-3k range.)</font>

What brand is that? I would be really interested in a quality ZTR in that price range. Thanks in advance.

Slam

/ craftsman vs. JD L118
Looked at zero-turn, but the price is too hefty for what I have to mow. Heard nothing but rave comments as to how fast they cut and ease of operation. I have 8 acres but only seeded 0.5 acres. I'd rather be golfing than mowing! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ craftsman vs. JD L118 #9  
There are cheap ones like Husky and Toro. The best consumer Z track is the Simplicity Consumer Z for 4 grand with the 18 horse single cyl Kohler motor.

/ craftsman vs. JD L118 #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( There are cheap ones like Husky and Toro. The best consumer Z track is the Simplicity Consumer Z for 4 grand with the 18 horse single cyl Kohler motor. )</font>

OK, I was wondering if you were gonna come up with something I had never heard of. Cause 3K won't buy much ZTR. (quality).

For $4300 I like the Gravely 2148 with the Kohler Command. But were drifting off subject.

Slam

Slam